Unsung Forum »
"Lizard"

10 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

"Formentera Lady"
Mar 16, 2003, 21:52
For years I thought the Sinfield lyric in "Ladies Of The Road" ("Like marron-glaced fish bones...") was a cunning linquistic punning on cunninglingus but I think it's probably a reference to the Sirens in "The Odyssey" every bit as much as going down on a "Stone-headed Frisco spacer" (the album IS called "Islands" after all, and with songs called "A Sailor's Tale" the dots connect pretty easy)

"Ladies Of The Road" was probably meant to contrast the beauty and grace of "Formentera Lady" on side one with something a bit more lusty --underlined by Mel Collins' satyr-like sax squonking and so forth

Sinfield works with a lot of mirroring patterns on those first four Crimso LPs

My most memorable experience listening to "Islands" was when I took a seven hour ferry ride to Ibiza from the mainland in late summer. It was quite a vibe to be listening to "Formentera Lady" while slowly passing that exquisitely narrow and amazingly flat island as I felt the full strength of the Mediterranean sun for the first time. It all felt quite timeless..(and so did I, come to think of it!)

Unsung Forum Index