AMM

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2601 posts

Re: AMM
Jan 14, 2003, 13:41
I know what you mean. But wholly improvised music is no different to any other - you have to be in the mood and the right frame of mind, chemically assisted if that's your bag, for it to work. Next time you're feeling so receptive, give 'Live At The Crypt' another go. Like you, I hated it when I first it, but then it just hit me. Subsequent playings I've alternately hated and loved it again, such is the nature of this mind-blowing beast. I don't think I've ever heard more sensory-draining sounds on record. Easy listening it ain't! Apparently AMM are best experienced live, a pleasure(?) I've yet to experience, although I did once hear John Tilbury, their pianist, in concert with Evan Parker and it was a night to remember.

My fave overall AMM record of the five I own is 'It Had Been An Ordinary Enough Day in Pueblo, Colorado' which includes the excellent 'Radio Activity' - the nearest thing to music in the conventional sense they ever did. It's probably the only record they've released which can be analysed in musical terms. If I'm feeling brave I might attempt an 'Unsung' review if nobody beats me to it.

I always wondered what 'AMM' - presumably an acronym - was short for. Anyone know?

Unsung Forum Index