Coil and/or Spiritualised

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Coil and/or Spiritualised
Jan 13, 2003, 13:35
What are the best two albums to buy of these, don't ask me where I have been regard me as someone who has been in a kind of judge like retirement musically for a few years. I've got spiritualised live at albert hall and liked that recommednations appreciated
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Coil and/or Spiritualised
Jan 13, 2003, 13:58
With Spiritualized, I'd say "Ladies And Gentlemen..." is the one to get first, although all four have much to recommend them. Reckon "let It Come Down" is, by a small margin, the weakest one personally but it's still worth getting if you already have all the others.

Can't help you much with Coil, I'm afraid, as I only have "Love's Secret Domain. I'm sure someone else around here will, though...
Adman
Adman
157 posts

Jan 13, 2003, 21:56
Spiritualized - "Pure Phase" - it's a blast on Headphones. The final track on the album "Feel like going home" is a voyage in sound of the highest order.
Telepathine
371 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 11:57
As far as Coil goes, if i could only pic two it'd have to be Music To Play In The Dark Volume 2 and Horse Rotorvator. Two very different sounding records, but both very satisfying. Others that rate highly are Astral Disaster, Timemachines, Scatology,
Love's Secret Domain (more 'dancey' than other releases).
Though there are two good compilations currently available from World Serpent Distribution which cover all periods in a ' darker' and 'lighter' vein respectively. (A Guide For Beginners (silver Hair) = lighter/dreamier, A Guide For Finnishers (a golden Hair) darker).
Moons Milk In Four Phases is also very good.

It's a bit more than two, but they are my fav's from an extensive catalogue of releases. Hope this helps.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 12:04
Ta all respondee's
a grandee to you all
the music will be ordered
and it will be your faul

t if i don't like it
I'll blame you to the end
since you've exquisite judgement
tho, with headphones on i'll send

good vibes to you and yours
hhers with good tunes
with shamanic alt.vibrations
.alt .muso .loons
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 12:07
......Pure Phaze! Without a shadow of a doubt! 1 oF THE BEST ALBUMS EVER!
afaN*
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 12:31
Coil
Love's Secret Domain is a good place to start.
also: Black Light District - 'A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room' is unfairly neglected, as it's under a pseudonym. Well worth getting though.

Spiritualized
I'd go with most people's ravings about Pure Phase, though I've got a very soft spot for Laser Guided Melodies myself too.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 13:56
I think I'd go for Queens of the Circulating Library or Constant Shllowness Leads to Evil (or Time Machines or Music To Play in the Dark 2) for Coil starters, but it's not an easy choice.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 14:44
Does Pure Phase have two different mixes of the lp one in each earphone track?
I think I heard that somewhere.
another cd I've got to stick on sometime.
I think the first 3 are all good. I've still got to get the live thing.
What was the earlier live thing like?
Was that A glastonbury set put out through the NME or something?

As to Coil I like that double cd of the 2 russian lps that i bought recently.
The Golden Hare with The Voice of Silver.
but then I don't know the band too well
even if I did meet Sleazy in that Son of REdneck country disco at the time of Tainted LOve.
Stevo
Np Flashing Echo Rupie EdwardsIre Feelings
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 15:03
Jason Spaceman did once say (can't remember where) that Pure Phase was two separate recordings in each channel, but it doesn't sound like that to me when I've listened to it on a walkman. Some of it may have been recorded that way, but not all of it. Mr Spaceman does understand the importance of and is pretty good at adding to his own mythology though (not unlike a certain Snr. Cope!), so take it with a pinch of salt I reckon.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index