Eminem v's David Blunkett

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Eminem v's David Blunkett
Jan 08, 2003, 17:39
Hmm. Interesting one. On the whole I agree with ratcni01. Living in Brixton means I regularly hear about or see police signs asking for witnesses to shootings. Packing a piece does seem cool to a lot of people (black AND white, may I add), and gangsta rap reflects this. But does it encourage it? I think to some degree it does, seeing the way a lot of kids in my area ape the attitude, the misogyny, homophobia etc. I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that all it does is relect the situation. However, having said that IT MUST NOT BE BANNED. This would make it even cooler, and we should have faith in rappers also expressing the flip side to the gun-toting stuff. A debate within the rap movement is the only way to tackle this issue healthily.

Besides, this music and its lyrical content should be none of the home secretary's business, and his comments are a red herring when the real causes of gun crime are inner-city deprivation and social exclusion and all the issues that stem from them. THAT is what the government should be discussing. Rap is being made a scapegoat by the spin-doctors, and David Blunkett is unwittingly making it cooler by commenting on it the way he has.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index