Eminem v's David Blunkett

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: Eminem v's David Blunkett
Jan 08, 2003, 11:23
I like Eminem 'cos he's got some style. He is tho' a mysogenist bastard. I like him 'cos he wears his dysfunctionality on his sleeve.

However having lived in Hackney and now moved to Nottingham (well sort of .. to St Anns in Nottingham the Hackney of Nottingham) I just think how much influence these style leaders have on young people, they certainly did when I was young I was heavily influenced by my peers and members of bands etc I liked. Guns and drugs are not helpful in poor inner city communities, like someone (Ice T) said there are no black communities just communities of poor people. Young men and women of all types from poor inner city areas feel that hopelessness when confronted with the expectations of "normal society" (for which often read white society) and joined with this the frustration of feeling that there is nothing worthy of them as well - no wonder they gravitate to this contemporary and culturally relevant form of rebellion. I did the same as a punk/hippy, the drugs I threw into my body as a youngster were psychedelic (soul-expanding) but give my situation not always helpful.

I wanna stay as city person I love the buzz of it and it's where I can find work on the kinda computers I work on at the moment and where my training for change of jobs is. But sending my kids to an city school where like their primary there were five shootings in two weeks in the cafe next door to the school in Hackney and Zoey used to come back from school scared .. and now in Nottingham the same story several shootings near the pub down the road from the school .. Zoey (my daughter) when I was gonna pop down the pub for some matches said don't go down there you'll get shot .. with genuine fear in her face, she's only 8, it was very sad.

I dunno really but I think that the musicians in these bands have responsibility some way or other for encouraging/making normal a life which involves guns, it doesn't need to. I (we I think) disapprove of other people using violence so trying to make guns cool and the kind of cynical, hard exterior that these guys (usually) put up as a great way to be, when really it ain't. I ain't much on cynicism or hard exteriors (or interiors for that matter), but that doesn't exlude dealing with hard situations

Erp ... feels risky this posting .. erp dunno
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index