Register
Unsung Forum »
Unexpected cover versions

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
242 posts

MR TAMBOURINE MAN!!?*!
Jan 08, 2003, 01:20
He does an even better Mr Tambourine Man in a jazz lounge way, ending memorably by him shouting at the top of his voice MR TAMBOURINE MAN! His reading of Cyrano... strikes a chord too.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 08, 2003, 02:09
Not a huge Siouxsie and the Banshees fan, but you did remind me of their cover of Helter Skelter, which I love.

"You may be a lover but you ain't no FUCKING dancer.

Helter Skelter. luh-luh-luh-luh-luh-luh-luh

AAAAH! AAAAA!

Hel-tuh Skel-tuh!
Hel-tuh Skel-tuh!"
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Ravishing Beauties
Jan 08, 2003, 07:39
way back in about 88 I was offered a vid of a Teardrops gig including the Ravishing Beauties set, but being a poor impoverished student I had to pass on it - BUGGER!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 10:17
I was in the Goldsmiths Arms (oo-er) in New Cross a couple of summers back for their all-day 'Punk-a-thon'. Every single band that played did a cover of 'Babylon's Burning'. I commented that I was finding it a bit gimmicky and was told that it wasn't intentional.
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Re: MR TAMBOURINE MAN!!?*!
Jan 08, 2003, 10:45
he goes way past the 'it's so bad that it's good mark' though.

TpS
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 16:35
I like cover versions where the original gets noised up. Eg: Leatherface/ Message In A Bottle, Twisted Sister/It's Only Rock'n'Roll and a snorting version of Blue Suede Shoes by Lemmy.

Mind you, I've got an album by Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters) called What's Next To The Moon. It's acoustic versions of early/classic AC/DC tracks. Quite stunning.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 16:38
That Lemmy track is on an NME album of Elvis covers which has some serious gems on it. King Creole by Steve Ablini and Cath Caroll is amazing. As is the Pogues track. Talking of which how about their Just One Of Thos Things from Red, Hot and Blue? And Debbie and Iggy doing Did You Evah!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 16:41
The Debbie/Iggy cover is ace. It shares a space in my head with Let's Call The Whole Thing Off by Cathal and...er...thingy.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jan 08, 2003, 16:56
Fave "unexpected" covers:

David Byrne's version of Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance (with somebody)" as an encore on his last tour.

Other notable David Byrne covers: The Future (Prince). The Model (Kraftwerk). Don't Fence Me In (Cole Porter).

Bowie's versions "My Death" & "Cactus".

Patti Smith's versions of "When Doves Cry" & "Crystal Ship".
moey
moey
770 posts

MGS Again
Jan 08, 2003, 18:16
Cyclical on this one....

Cathal does Lets call the whole thing off with Martin Stephenson. Top version it is too!

Acid Banannas!
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index