Unsung Forum »
Unexpected cover versions

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 08, 2003, 18:31
Hows this for topical and up to date? The dance mag Muzik have a cover mount cd called Heroes Rewind this month. It features original and covers of stuff by what one might term seminal artists. The covers are quite interesting and include.

Bent - Dirty Mind (Prince) which is cool

Squarepusher - Love will tear us apart (Joy Division) which is really good, and not what you might expect

Senor Coconut - Showroom Dummies (Kraftwerk). Really like this one.

Rae & Christian - Flashlight (Funkadelic) Growing on me.

Open Door - Breathe (Pink Floyd) This is ace.

Space Cowboy - I would die 4 u. (Prince again) Bit cheesy but then so was the original. Think this version was in the charts recently.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Feb 02, 2003, 19:42
Tatu do a version of 'How Soon Is Now' on their album. Will someone check it out and report back; I'd be too embarrassed to ask at my local record store to hear it...
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Re: you "n" me
Feb 02, 2003, 22:23
I got it too! Marc Almond's version of Like a Prayer is miles better than Madge's!

Ride doing Kraftwerk?! Now that scared me at the time
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

My Top 5 Unexpected cover versions
Feb 02, 2003, 22:39
The Coral - Reward
Ultravox - Kings Lead Hat
Frank Sidebottom - I Should Be So Lucky
Laibach - Sympathy for the Devil
Robbie Williams - Making Plans for Nigel

Not top 5 favourite, just unexpected at the time
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 00:11
Magazine-'Goldfinger'
Lydia Lunch & Rowland S. Howard-'Some Velvet Morning'-this was back in '83 or so, long before covering Lee Hazelwood became de riguer
Sixteen Horsepower-'Bad Moon Rising'-Spooky, minor-key version off their live one, "Hoarse" which also contains nifty versions of Joy Division's 'Day of the Lords' and Gun Club's 'Fire Spirit'
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: Costello
Feb 03, 2003, 17:40
Elvis also contributed a "Ship of Fools/It Must Have Been the Roses" medley to yet another Dead tribute, STOLEN ROSES, which also includes otherwise unavailable recordings by Patti Smith ("Black Peter") and Bob Dylan ("Friend of the Devil"). Just FYI.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: Dinosaur Jr
Feb 03, 2003, 17:41
"Doing

David Bowies - The Wagon"

? "The Wagon" was an original. You must be thinking of Bowie's "Quicksand".
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 17:49
Hard to think of Nancy Sinatra being quite so experimental. Isn't that Nick Cave singing?
Adam H
4 posts

Re: Dinosaur Jr
Feb 03, 2003, 18:53
You're right!

I'd not listened to it for years and years though so i can be forgiven for being wrong :-)

AH
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

very unexpected
Feb 03, 2003, 21:46
Who would have guessed the Stones would be performing "Love Train" (O'Jays 70s smash) on their current tour? It was terrific and timely but unfortunately they dropped it (sigh).
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index