Unsung Forum »
Unexpected cover versions

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Unexpected cover versions
Jan 04, 2003, 20:38
Searching Kazaa for a copy of the Psychadelic Furs' Sister Europe, I came across a creditable attempt by Foo Fighters.

I know many bands attempt covers out of homage or humour, and have cringed along to SLF's "White Christmas" and Marilyn Mansons' "Sweet Dreams are made of this"

Just wondered what other people had come across that they had enjoyed.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 04, 2003, 20:54
The comedy punk cover version is like a right wing thug - should be avoided at all costs. That said, Me First And The Gimme Gimmes version of 'Country Roads' is very good.

Currently listening to a lot: Violent Femmes - 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me'. Changing the lyrics and playing down the cod-reggae helps.

Favourite of all time: Fatima Mansions - 'Paper Thin Hotel'

Honorable mention: Jello Biafra - 'We Gotta Get Out Of This Place'
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

ps
Jan 04, 2003, 20:55
david Gray should be shot
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 21:01
Hmm..well for one..Gran Parson's version of 'Wild Horses" is an aching thing o' beauty

Have to think on that..

The Colour Field(Terry Hall) did an awful version of The Monkees "She" on the equally bad "Deception" album
Such a shame as thier first abum,Virgins&Philistines was so lovely..AND included a purty cover of The Roches' "Hammond Song"

Annnyway...
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 21:04
The Ltd edition of Lambchop's "Is A Woman" has a fantastic version of the Goth Classic "This Corrosion"

Played out live, Kurt Wagner ALMOST rocks out
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 21:05
I'm sure I heard Erasure doing Solsbury Hill the other day.

.o0O0o.
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 22:10
The Flaming Lips-'All That Jazz/Happy Death Men'-ace Bunnymen medley from the 'Wastin' Pigs' CD!
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 22:45
I'm not a big fan of nu-metal but China Drum did a corking versions of 'Wuthering Heights'

Then there's the Sisters of Mercy wailing through 'Jolene'

One of my all time faves though has to be This Mortal Coil's 'Song to the siren'
Weirdly enough I was at a club on New Year and they played it at the end of the night - you know the 'please f*ck off and go home now the club is closing' song. Strangely, being somewhat drunk me and a friend were the only ones left on the dancefloor... singing along at the top of our voices....
sad sad sad people we are
Then I think I asked some grl to marry me...
Truly tragic....
but I digress....
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 04, 2003, 22:56
Yeah, it's bloody awful!

Nothing against Erasure in their time (honestly) and Sols Hill is a classic - but you have to ask..... WHY??????
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Song To The Siren
Jan 04, 2003, 22:58
Now that really is a truly great cover. Liz Frazer has a fantastic voice.

....and it was sampled for Messiah's Temple of dreams track (I think that was the one anyway)
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index