Unsung Forum »
SydArthur Festival 2018

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 14: July 20th 2015 – Death of Dieter Moebius
Jul 21, 2018, 03:11
This evening, listening to everything I can think of with him on it: Cluster, Harmonia, Cluster & Eno, Moebius & Plank...Only sometimes I know when it's him and it's usually the bizarre squibs he implodes with, or the darkly terrifying melodies or just the-everything-else-Rodelius-isn't playing.

I first heard him in early 1982 when I borrowed a friend's sister's copies of CLUSTER & ENO and AFTER THE HEAT. At the time, it seemed the absolute polar limits of synthesizer music and instantly made my small collection of Vangelis, Synergy and Jean-Michel Jarre seem insufficient. In reflection, how I wish those early Cluster album had been available at the time in the USA. In 1983, I spotted a copy of "Cluster II" -- once -- in NYC used but was four times the price of a typical import.

CLUSTER. (the first album)
CLUSTER II.
ZUCKERZEIT.
MUSIK VON HARMONIA.
HARMONIA DELUXE.

And that's not even mentioning Kluster mit "K." The early stuff with Conrad Schnitzler. ERUPTION makes METAL MACHINE MACHINE sound like 1001 Strings. That is some of the most brutal industrial music I've ever heard.

His two collaboration albums with Conny Plank, RASTAKRAUTPASTA and MATERIAL, are amazing as once again, Moebius the sonic chameleon leaves his mark all over the place but...exactly where is hard to tell at points.

Moebius -- what a singularity.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index