Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
SydArthur Festival 2018

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1240 posts

SydArthur Festival Day 13: July 19th, 2018 Cerebration - Judy Henske & Jerry Yester: "Raider"
Jul 19, 2018, 23:46
Judy Henske & Jerry Yester's FAREWELL ALDEBARAN is one strange and patchwork album.

I listened to it for the first time in 2004 after I found an original copy in New York for $40. Thought a couple of tracks were fine, some of Henske's vocals were a wee too strident -- closer to early Buffy Sainte-Marie than Grace Slick. But the last song, "Farewell Aldebaran," really put a zap on my head. Gives you the feeling you're standing on the edge of eternity. Sort of like "Thread Of Life" by Renaissance, only far less dejected and far more elevating in spirit.

"Raider" is a multi-dimensional hayride, kind of like something by Kaleidoscope on "Beacon From Mars," which makes sense because I think David Lindley and someone else from Kaleidoscope appears on the album and I wouldn't be surprised if it was this track.

When I first heard this album, I don't think there was further personnel listed on the gatefold, so was really freaked out when I discovered Bernie Krause contributed Moog to the final track! Perfect.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index