19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 17 February 2018
Feb 19, 2018, 10:04
Monganaut wrote:
Nice little interview with them in Quietus.
http://thequietus.com/articles/21945-children-of-alice-broadcast-interview

The album has so many samples and sound snippets that are like little memory shards directly from my childhood backbrain. Deffo stirs up a weird nostalgia in me that's fer sure. Like those Eno ambient albums, it's not something you really listen too, but playing it in the background as you do something else, it deffo keeps pulling you back in.

As a 10 year old I had an unhealthy interest in earth mysteries, the occult, ghost stories and folklore. Pouring over those Janet and Colin Bord books my older sister used to buy me for Xmas and birthdays was my 'in' to that eldritch world of the esoteric. A time when the TV went off in the afternoon, after Camberwick Green or Trumpton, and school TV programmes consisted of stuff like Picture Box, Scene and You and Me. Where weird little Czech cartoons were used as a bookend to kids TV. Public safety films and badly dubbed adventure series in the school holidays. Those weirdly unsettling radiophonic electronics on Dr Who, and Leonard Nimmoy's 'In Search Of' and Children of the Stones at tea time. Scorching Summers and foggy Autumns, a love of the outdoors, and a freedom to roam my kids never seemed to really embrace. The record reminds me of all this.

The recentish Coil reissues have definately rekindled my interest in them. Here's hoping whomever is responsible for their legacy turns up some other stuff worth hearing.

Have you come across this yet? http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/stephen-brotherstone-dave-lawrence/scarred-for-life-volume-one/paperback/product-23116461.html

Covers pretty much all that stuff ;-)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index