Tom Rapp 1947-2018

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2018, 00:12
Tom Rapp 1947-2018
Feb 14, 2018, 23:43
Sad to say that Pearls Before Swine's mainman Tom Rapp has died folloiwng a battle with pelvic cancer. I've loved his albums since I discovered a dodgy copy of the debut 'One Nation Underground' on Todmorden market 30-odd years ago and basically bought it because it had a Bosch sleeve and looked distinctly 'psychedelic'. And as far as I was concerned it was (companion to many a 'shroom trip in the late eighties) though apparently Rapp had experienced nothing stronger than Lucky Strikes at the time of its recording. A criminally overlooked songwriter in my opinion. Rest in peace Tom.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Tom Rapp 1947-2018
Feb 15, 2018, 14:51
I only know "One Nation Underground" and "Balaklava", but they're both pretty superb. In places they make me think of what Tim Buckley's first two Elektra albums would have sounded like if they'd been recorded on half the budget - which is not put-down as the arrangements on both are a tad over-ornate for my tastes, to the point where they sometimes get in the way of the (mostly excellent) songs. R.I.P.
garerama
garerama
1104 posts

Re: Tom Rapp 1947-2018
Feb 15, 2018, 21:35
RIP Tom Rapp.

Only had the first 4 PBS albums out the other week. I first heard of him in the late eighties via Psychic TV who covered "Translucent Carriages", but took me 23 years to finally listen to them and a very fine album "Balaklava" is. So not recognised and one of the greats. RIP Tom!
Unsung Forum Index