Register
Unsung Forum »
Dope on Drugs (Another new Dope album)

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: Dope on Drugs (Another new Dope album)
Feb 17, 2018, 21:27
Good innit?
LunarTunes
107 posts

Feb 18, 2018, 22:44
Citizensmurf wrote:
LunarTunes wrote:
Meanwhile, our vouchers for the likely non-existent TOO MUCH RELIGION E.P. expired at the end of 2017. And we await the likely non-existent SEMI-LEGAL ON THE EDGE OF CULTURE LP that "Drugs" is supposedly from. DOPE is pretty prolific already, both in the real world and the alternate Cope universe...

https://www.discogs.com/Jerry-Hitler-Too-Much-Religion/master/848613

It was actually a real release, but most likely the coupon was an inside joke by Cope. Really a lot of his humour gets lost in translation.

Thanks! Totally missed the joke. At least now I don't have to take scissors to my voucher :)
ThreeFingeredPete
12 posts

Feb 20, 2018, 22:44
Sure is Jon.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Feb 22, 2018, 18:27
Arrived yesterday, and am dedicating active listening time tonight!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2018, 00:52
Feb 23, 2018, 19:11
Piquiod wrote:
Arrived yesterday, and am dedicating active listening time tonight!

I'm thrice through it. All the Dope releases are quite a stew of different sounds and flavours. Hard to tell that it's one band at times. Overall On Drugs is quite good, and the last track is unlike anything Cope's done before. Loki reminded me of "Sunrise in the Western Sky" by Sun Ra, except replace John Gilmore's extended sax solo for McGrail's Korg explorations. Sounds like its filtered through a Monotron Delay. Space is the place.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Feb 25, 2018, 19:15
ottospooky wrote:
Talking of that voucher (which is more than likely a throwback to 60s and 70s LPs with real money off vouchers in them) I’m after a copy of Guerilla Grow. I can source one copy that’s available on eBay for a very high - one might use the word ‘ridiculous’ price. What’s the story there? Is the album limited to a stupid-small number of copies? Does the album feature vocals, or is it in a similar vein to the other Dope stuff? Does anyone have a spare copy they’re willing to sell?

I might be prepared to let go of my copy ottospooky.
PM me (click on my user name)X
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2018, 10:45
Mar 06, 2018, 09:48
I think it's great - really great.
It's the first Dope release I've bought (missed Guerilla Grow and don't have the facility to play cassettes or vinyl at the moment), but I'm impressed. Probably one of the best or better experimental releases he's put out for some time. In a funny sort of way and taking things all the way back, it kinda sounds like what (in my head) I expected Rite to sound like back in 1992 when it was first mooted, especially Foden.
Leave Yourself Behind is the killer though - it's just so damned mutable - for a 1 chord strum, it takes on many, many bewildering shapes and variations within its misleadingly linear form. I mean, there are so many nuances and twists that it fair keeps one entertained for its 17 minutes. Like the Plastic Ono Band meets Faust meets Amon Duul meets the Syd Barrett of 'Have You Got It Yet'.
The Binding Of Loki reminds me in parts of Destroy Religion and Sqwubbsy The Olmec (off The Jehovahcoat Demos - to which this release is a sort of distant relation).
The only thing that makes me wonder is just how much of a genuine 'band' Dope really are - yes, McGrail is clearly and undeniably there but it kinda sounds to me like about 70% Cope - Foden might well be 100% Cope as it sounds like his keyboard and bass style. I keep returning to that quote in the 2000 Q&A where he states that sometimes he plays everything but doesn't want it to come across that way.
ThreeFingeredPete
12 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2018, 22:49
Mar 07, 2018, 22:48
Really pleased you like it, and great write up. You'll love the other releases too.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Mar 15, 2018, 17:27
I buyed and cried sheer tears of joy... Well I didn't quite do that but it arrived today and its alright on first listen. About 7.34 out of 10 I'd say. Give or take, you understand.
ThreeFingeredPete
12 posts

Mar 25, 2018, 22:24
Roland Space Echo actually.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index