Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Edited Feb 06, 2018, 01:18
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 3 February 2018
Feb 06, 2018, 01:15
thesweetcheat wrote:

Ouch, hope that gets better soon.

There are a few tracks on 458489B that didn't make the boxset, so it's still essential if you want everything. The two 458489 compilations were the first Fall albums I had (on tape) and I have a lot of affection for them.

Thanks fer the concern, Re: knee. TBH was my own stupid fault, decided to go up the hills on a whim whilst out and about for other reasons, forgot my boots were not in the boot, but at home drying from a previous jaunt, and went up in my very old trainers. I was skidding about going up, so it was only gonna get worse in failing light coming down. Just a tendon strain, but bloody painful, I won't repeat THAT in a hurry, I can tell Ya :) Sleeping is the worst, have to have everything proped up on cushions. Thank god fer Ibuprofen gel is all I can say!

Re: the Fall boxset, I hadn't realised that there were tracks omitted from the recent set. Must be frustrating fer those who forked out on the full set of discs not to have all the songs from the period stated.

Can't remember the first Fall album I bought. I would have heard them on Peel that's fer sure, but my ears didn't really prick up till 'The Man Whose Head Exanded' in about 83'/84'. I think Trio may have been in the charts the previous year with Da Da Da, and that Flipin Casio VL Tone blips caught my teenage attention (ditto on Human League's Dare LP too).

I do remember quite a lot of that early 80's stuff freaking me out a bit when I used to listen to the Peel show on school nights, and I'm sure some of the earlier Fall stuff would have deffo fallen into that category of 'a bit to weird for my tastes' at the time. There was quite a lot of dark musical rumblings at the time, as well as all the other stuff going on in the charts, synth pop, ska, post punk etc....Mind you, the first Pil record I ever bought was Flowers of Romance, Metal Box, etc.. had a passed me by till a lot later. My mate Charlie thinks it was a strange place to start, but I really liked that record, with all the strange violins and tribal drumming etc...plus the rather attractive lady on the cover. I'd also just discovered Bauhaus at the time...so you can guess where my musical tastes were heading at the time.

Apologies, I've digressed somewhat...anyhow, this is a great live version of ..Head Expanded.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REhwZy_D-lA
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index