32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Edited Jan 04, 2018, 10:41
Re: 2 0 1 7
Jan 04, 2018, 10:33
There's been some good reissues this year, that The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda sticks out for me. It was also great to see the greatest LP ever, The Congos - Heart of the Congos get various reissues (a limited run of Perry's less weird original mix and a full CD issue of that plus well-known mix and extras).

It was great to see Acetone getting a retrospective and possibly reach a wider audience.

Nearly forgot about the issue of some old Neil Young stuff, the album Hitchhiker, which is worth the admission alone for the solo take on Powderfinger. Hardcore NY fans have probably had this version for ages, as it pops up on various bootlegs including the Chrome Dreams one, but it's amazing to hear it in proper quality. Props to Neil for his archives website as well.

As far as new stuff is concerned, I have to mention our own* Moonlandingz, Jane Weaver's LP was agreat as well, though sadly live it's still a bit lacklustre for me, which is a shame as she's really got it. Maybe just get the band to lively up a bit?! It was also great to get 2 new LPs from Thee Oh Sees / OCS.

Hannah Peel's Mary Casio: Journey to Cassiopeia deserves a mention, also the Ulrika Spacek LP.

I really loved the Jesus and Mary Chain LP, which surprised me a lot. I didn't even bother listening to it, but after seeing them live 30 years since I first saw them this year, I gave it a go & it is really good!

Also on the legend front, Robyn Hitchcock finally got around to doing a self-titled LP which was of loads higher quality than anyone should be doing this far into their career. I expect he's reinvigorated from relocation to the US.

Despite intentions of keeping it "low key" this year and going to smaller gigs and such like, I failed completely and 2017 was very much legends year, kicking off with Black Sabbath moving onto Kraftwerk and ending with BBC Radiophonic Orchestre and finally an amazing show by Pharoah Sanders in Leeds. There was others, but they were the legends of the year! Honourable mention to David Thomas Broughton, Omar Souleyman & Swans.

12" & odds and ends wise, Helena Hauff's ep on Ninja Tune was great, Lo Kindre on Optimo a new Golden Teacher mini LP. A new track from Hookworms trailing their 2018 LP appeared and made a left turn from the guitar-heavy angry-psych that we were used to.

Personally (musically) I kicked off the year with the film I collaborated with a film-maker friend and writer friend was shown at the short film festival at the ICA in January, Did an interview for a forthcoming book on the British Thrash Metal scene coming out next year and also remastered a track by my old band from 1990 which will be on an accompanying compilation on Cherry Red and I mixed/produced a solo album from James Green of experimental loops/drones which we performed live with an accompanying animated film/images!

*Sheffield

Unsung Forum Index