2 0 1 7

32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2017, 16:53
Re: 2 0 1 7
Dec 13, 2017, 16:42
Cheers and thanks for the Scissorgun mentions in this thread.

This was my 50th year on the planet. Got off to a hard start with some personal stuff but soon developed into a great year musically after chucking all energy and time into it...

Personal music wise, I finally kicked the door in (after 30 years!) to getting a flavour of good distribution, radio play and sales. The Scissorgun project (with the logistical and art help of James Nice at LTM) resulted in the release of our debut album in September which received nice reviews in MOJO, Louder Than War and Electronic Sound magazine. We played 3 gigs – best performance being the one in London supporting Wolfgang Flur - who also signed my vinyl copy of Trans Europe Express, which was a high. Received good album feedback from Stephen Mallinder, Chris Carter and Mark Reeder which was a boost. We’re now working on new material - currently sounding a bit more electronic/ techno with a future sound.
My solo CD on Linear Obsessional called ‘Red Guide to Coastal Quicksand of British Isles’ (bit of a mouthful) surprised me with the reception and radio play it got on WFMU, Steve Barker OTW show and Stuart Maconies’ Freak Zone. There’s a companion album due out in a few weeks called ‘Blue Guide to Shore Ghosts and Sea Mystery’ on the same label, which features Graham Massey and Ruthie Davies, so excited about that. Thanks to Richard Sanderson for all his support in putting these CDs out. We did two gigs to promote them in London at Richard’s label nights – and very much enjoyed the other acts who performed including great performances from Chris Whitehead, Me-Claudius, Viv Corringham and the Hither Green Improvisers Group.
Other personal highlights were a rebuild of home studio and a trip to Strawberry Studios to see some of Martin Hannetts’ old gear (music gear!).

Recordings of the year I most enjoyed….
Billy Childish – Brand New Cage + Buff Medways reissues on Damaged Goods.
Crocodile Records 7 inch releases.
Various Linear Obsessional releases including the Black Path, Steven Ball, Browne/ Thompson/ Sanderson and Chris Cundy
Gargarin – Corvid
Kamasi Washington – Harmony of Difference
A Certain Ratio reissues on Mute especially Graveyard and the Ballroom CD.
Durutti Column reissues and Ghosts of Xmas Past - LTM
Thought Bubble – bandcamp downloads
Duds – of a Nature or Degree

Gigs of the year most enjoyed….
Kraftwerk – Bridgwater Hall, Manchester
Wire – The Haunt, Brighton
Jah Wobble & Invaders of the Heart – Ruby Lounge, Manchester
Vic Godard/ Subway Sect/ Poppycock – Gullivers, Manchester
Umut Caglar /Graham Masssey/ Paddy Steer - Islington Mill, Salford
Ruts DC- Apollo, Manchester
Duds – the Deaf Institute, Manchester
The Blockheads – Derby Halls, Bury
Mark Pilkington – Texture, Manchester
Linear Obsessional nights at Deptford and Lewisham.

I’ll shut up now – have a great seasonal holiday everyone and a safe and stable 2018 – much love and thanks for the support over the year x

Unsung Forum Index