2370 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 November 2017 CE
Nov 26, 2017, 22:55
keith a wrote:
Remix EP- Tarwater
The Needle Was Travelling – Tarwater
Dwellers on The Threshold – Tarwater
Spider Smile – Tarwater
After a self-inflicted Tarwwater amnesty, I took them back with a vengeance. One of my fave ever bands now TBH.

Amen to that brother!. I think of all the bands of the last 20 odd years I've loved, Tarwater have been the most consistant in terms of delivering quality records. Can't think of a single one I haven't enjoyed. Their secret (if they have one) is that they know what they're good at and pretty much stick to it.

Mind you, some of the other stuff the members are involved with, To Roccoco Rot and Mouse On Mars I'm not so keen on. They have their moments, but they ain't Tarwater, that's fer sure.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Nov 26, 2017, 23:03
bauheed wrote:
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - 20
[Saw Euros Childs on Friday night. Excellent performance, which included a guest appearance from Norman Blake. I only have his first solo album ("Chops") I need to get his new one, and investigate more of his solo records.]

I think Euros and Norman had a short lived band together called Johnny, picked up a promo from a charidee shop a while ago.
Interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svgplMumho4
Beach Party - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJFxrrtPUIM
Bread (live) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsFPLGF02V4
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 27, 2017, 14:02
keith a wrote:

Carry Fire - Robert Plant
I went to see him last week. I enjoyed it but was slightly disappointed if I'm honest. It got a bit too jiggy for me at times. Following a solo slot, the support act Seth Lakeman joined the band for much of the set, bringing with him his violin and over-whelming air of smugness, but thankfully not his songs. This album sounds ok on early listens.

Yet to hear the album, but also caught him live with a rather different experience. First time I've seen him live with his band and I thought they were really strong. Loved hearing the Zep tracks and thought his solo stuff wasn't too shabby either. Could take or leave Seth Lakeman, but didn't think he detracted from the performance - although funnily enough my dad thought exactly the same as you!
keith a
9570 posts

Nov 27, 2017, 17:26
Yeah, the band were great and the guitar solo from Justin Adams was fabulous showmanship. I guess I was expecting more of an Eastern thing which has apparently been on show on recent tours.
keith a
9570 posts

Nov 27, 2017, 17:32
Monganaut wrote:

Mind you, some of the other stuff the members are involved with, To Roccoco Rot and Mouse On Mars I'm not so keen on. They have their moments, but they ain't Tarwater, that's fer sure.

I've never got into Mouse On Mars either. I'd never got into To Rococo Rot either but heard one track I liked off the Speculation album and so got that, but that's as far as I've explored.

Dunno if you heard but Tarwater played a low-key, last min gig in Brighton recently with Immersion (as in Colin Newman and Malka Spigel). Sadly I couldn't make it but from photo's it looked like it was in a very small venue. Hopefully they recorded something with Immersion whilst they were here.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Nov 28, 2017, 15:08
I've only seen Tarwater once, sometime in the late 90's, they did one of those live PA things fer 45 odd mins during a club night (Oscillate I think it was). Sadly don't recall much of it, though what I do remember was that they were pretty improvisational instead of a straight ahead gig. Saw Ultramarine doing a similar thing around the same time at the same club which was pretty good too.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 28, 2017, 19:05
If you can be bothered to sit through this it might be what you're thinking of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idHqjO9gtPE from the 2014 tour, try from 1hr 26min for a cracking version of Little Maggie if you can't face the whole thing
Personally I thought this tour was wonderful, came early to check out Seth Lakeman, didn't feel a need to chase up anything of his afterwards but I thought he added something to the band, loved their version of Misty Mountain Hop which is one Zeppelin song I could otherwise live without
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index