Unsung Forum »
Live Japan '91 Question

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
LunarTunes
107 posts

Live Japan '91 Question
Nov 21, 2017, 23:56
Did anyone who purchased Live Japan '91 through the Merchandiser receive it on a CD-R? I just won it on eBay but was not aware it was a CD-R. It came in a jewel case with the right covers. But the disc itself is a CD-R with a printed label rather than a professionally printed CD as Discogs says it should be. Inside the case was an old HH receipt from 2005, indicating this had been purchased legitimately. So I'm wondering if this is a possibility or if the Seller kept the CD and just burned one to put into the case and sell on eBay (weird as that would be). Help!...
bluntlaser
64 posts

Re: Live Japan '91 Question
Nov 22, 2017, 00:45
Just checked mine and its a properly printed cd. I guess its possible HH sent some out as CDR's but unlikely. I'd check again with the seller. Can anyone else help with this?
LunarTunes
107 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 03:35
That was my thinking: "possible but unlikely". Just thought I'd ask here to see if it had actually happened to anyone. Anyone else order this from HH?...
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 09:06
Hmm, my copy was definitely a proper disc (as is my version of Christ Versus Warhol which is on the same label).
I have got stuff from HH that has been a CDr (eg Guitar Explosion 2) but Cope usually made this clear in the blurb on the site so it could be that your theory about ripping might be correct. Is the HH receipt genuine (ie not a photocopy)?
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 09:08
Mine's a CD not CDR as well (was bought either from merchandiser or from a show in 2004... can't remember clearly!)
LunarTunes
107 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 12:29
Thanks for the replies so far. I have Christ vs. Warhol, too and it is a pro CD. The receipt for this Live Japan '91 is definitely real and not a photocopy. It's faded properly and browned a bit and everything. And the artwork looks like the real thing, too. The Seller has a 100% rating and over 2,000 transactions so I trust him. And he says this is what he got from HH. I'm just trying to see if anyone else received it on CD-R as well. Anyone?...
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 12:47
Ah right. Sounds legit to be honest then.
I've occasionally got stuff from HH that I've suspected to be promotional or advance copies sent to JC that he's subsequently stuck on the Merchandiser. (I got the reissue of Wilder from here and it wasn't sealed and the booklet had clearly been thumbed through).
So my theory is that, the seller probably got it from HH and it was JC's personal copy that the label sent him for review/approval before they issued/supplied it proper.
Even though the Revel label put out unofficial bootlegs, the fact that Cope sold both Japan '91 and CvW on the Merchandiser suggests they met with his prior approval and possible involvement.
LunarTunes
107 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 13:21
I think you are correct. And I trust this Seller. I can't imagine getting $20US from me was the goal of a long con of maintaining a perfect record for a couple of thousand transactions! But if anyone else got this on CD-R from HH, it'd make me feel better to hear it from you...
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 14:18
Definitely proper CD, may want to get back in touch with the person you brought it from.
common era
865 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2017, 10:09
Nov 23, 2017, 09:51
Just checked mine and it is a 'real' cd with the orange swirly design. The trouble is that with today's standards of digital printing, even with home printers, the artwork is easy to reproduce at a very high standard. The receipt hints at it being legit and could well be an advance copy.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index