Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: The worst vocal performance ever
Nov 20, 2017, 16:48
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
caldervalium wrote:
http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKS2/SRStokyo/SRStokyo205.mp3

Forget Florence Foster Jenkins. Rid your mind of the Linda McCartney tape. Don't even think about Alex Chilton's 'Surfer Girl'. Ladies and gents, I give you the Stone Roses performng 'She Bangs The Drums' at Tokyo Budokan earlier this year. Bless.

ow. He sounds like he's actually singing in a completely different key from the rest of the band.

That's the thing - in the studio all these could have been put through Autotune or Melodyne and corrected with a few mouse clicks. As far as I'm aware there's currently no way of doing that with a live vocal track though.

I think the original studio recording probably pre-dates effective digital vocal tweaking. I just get the impression John Leckie was either 1. very skilled in getting the artist to perform to a reasonable standard, 2. very patient or 3. both. Even around that time, his live vocals were shaky to say the least (if the Blackpool Empress gig is anything to go by)

Indeed - he's always been a crap live vocalist, judging by the one time i saw them. i'm guessing John Leckie probably did what a lot of producers had to do in those days and either patched together a complete vocal track using the best parts of several different takes, or used drop-ins where he'd get IB to overdub one or two notes at a time.

Unsung Forum Index