Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Re: The worst vocal performance ever
Nov 20, 2017, 12:47
Popel Vooje wrote:
caldervalium wrote:
http://www.bigozine2.com/TRKS2/SRStokyo/SRStokyo205.mp3

Forget Florence Foster Jenkins. Rid your mind of the Linda McCartney tape. Don't even think about Alex Chilton's 'Surfer Girl'. Ladies and gents, I give you the Stone Roses performng 'She Bangs The Drums' at Tokyo Budokan earlier this year. Bless.

ow. He sounds like he's actually singing in a completely different key from the rest of the band.

That's the thing - in the studio all these could have been put through Autotune or Melodyne and corrected with a few mouse clicks. As far as I'm aware there's currently no way of doing that with a live vocal track though.

I think the original studio recording probably pre-dates effective digital vocal tweaking. I just get the impression John Leckie was either 1. very skilled in getting the artist to perform to a reasonable standard, 2. very patient or 3. both. Even around that time, his live vocals were shaky to say the least (if the Blackpool Empress gig is anything to go by)

This is kinda proved by Second Coming's godawful Tears (a gauche Stairway to Heaven re-write which most Roses fans I've come across think is the BEST THING ON THERE [their words]) which features Ian's original guide vocal which manages to drift in and out of tune constantly. Apparently he wouldn't commit to a finished vocal because he loathed the song so much. I agree with his sentiment, thought leaving it off the album might have been the more definitive solution.

A friend of mine told me that he knew the guy who was paid on that reunion tour to play keyboard notes off-stage into Ian's ear monitor to help him stay in key. Either didn't work or he wasn't there that night..... or both!

Unsung Forum Index