Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 September 2017 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 23 September 2017 CE
Sep 24, 2017, 17:40
The Belbury Circle – Outward Journeys. Absolutely cracking album of late 70s/early 80s flavoured synth pop/rock from Ghost Box mainstays Jim ‘Belbury Poly’ Jupp and Jon ‘The Advisory Circle’ Brooks, plus guest vocals from John Foxx. Kraftwerk is always the obvious reference with stuff like this, but there’s just as much contemporary Tangerine Dream and Vangelis in here. A must for all retro futurists: https://soundcloud.com/ghost-box/sets/outward-journeys (and also this week’s Listen With Father, on the basis that Belbury Poly was a fave in the kitchen during the pre-school years…)

Spaceship – Fields 2: From The Sea To The Moor Via The Forest And The Stones. More field recordings enhanced by dronic electronica. Some really compelling stuff here: http://forged-river.com/album/fields-2-from-the-sea-to-the-moor-via-the-forest-and-the-stones

Concretism – At The Delaware Road (playlist). From a recent event held in a disused nuclear bunker. Undeniably derivative of Boards Of Canada, but still rather fab: https://soundcloud.com/concretism/sets/the-delaware-road-playlist

JuJu – Our Mother Was A Plant. Hmmm, it’s a real curate’s egg this album, with perhaps a little too much 80s style bass on it. But then this is great: https://fuzzclub.bandcamp.com/track/patrick

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense. Put in the car by the wife for the girls to listen to, thought I’d give it a spin… I must have seen the film years ago, but I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly heard the album before. Quite a strange experience coming at it from 2017. Some of the songs are part of the art rock canon, but the sound is soooo 80s that it’s sonically quite unpleasant in places, with its plastiky digital keys, faux-soulful backing singers, and over-perky rhythms. TH might have ‘innovated’ this type of Afro-beat via New York vibe, but by this stage it just sounds too slick (to my ears anyway), and uncomfortably close to what an entire deluge of mainstream/adult pop/rock/soul bands would sound like over the next few years.

S is for…

Schlammpeitziger – Collected Simplesongs Of My Temporary Past. Picked this off the shelf having no recollection of what it was or when I got it (which is partly the point of this exercise). Turns out to be a compilation of quirky Cluster/Harmonia-influenced electronica from the 90s by a Cologne-based musician called Jo Zimmermann. Came out on Domino in 2001 (presumably why I originally got it), but it looks to have been his only ‘UK release’ (not that that means so much anymore). Possibly a contemporary of people like Mouse On Mars and Tarwater/To Rococo Rot? Anyway, some nice stuff, definitely worth a listen if you’re into this type of thang… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmoQCOfzyvo

Live:

Walthamstow Electronic ’17 – Small but intriguing event held in a converted cinema which featured Dick Mills from The Radiophonic Workshop explaining how the original Dr Who theme was put together (great!), plus various ‘live’ sets (sorry, still can’t get over the old rockist division between people hitting strings and drums, and a bloke standing behind a laptop) included the brilliant Pye Corner Audio, whose slot was far too short…
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Edited Sep 24, 2017, 18:00
Sep 24, 2017, 17:49
Pretty much the same as last week, except for...

Cabaret Voltaire - The Original Sound Of Sheffield 78- 82

And cos of that pachy, but generally OK Sky Arts programme 'Rock and Roll', I dug out a few of my old fav Hip Hop albums from a Loooong time ago.

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation Of Millions

Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full

Saw an amazing free synchronised drumming and fireworks with Mad Max make up in Brum last night called 'Clash Of Drums'. UK and French performers teamed up for some amazing visuals and drumming, with quite a lot of rhythms verging on proper industrial. Could hear hints of Godflesh, Swans, Young Gods, Test Dept alongside that heavy Tresor style Techno, and even Tago Maga era can in the performance beginning. Was breathtaking. Hell I'd pay good money to see that again. Many thanks to The Hippodrome for sticking it on.
I had some of those riffs in my head on the way home, so had to dig a couple of albums they reminded me of out when I got home. Here's hoping they make it to a town near you. Clash Of Drums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CteNkZ0-z_0 and another brief clip, sadly non in great quality, but you get the idea...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdooUzFJsRc

Godflesh - Godflesh

Young Gods - L'eau Rough

Picked up tickets for Shellac in Brum on Oct 6th. Long time fan, but never managed to catch em live, so stoked to see Albini et al. As the whole family love em' , looks like it might just be a family affair, woohoo.

Have a good on y'all!
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Sep 24, 2017, 19:43
1001realapes wrote:
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - st

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un minuto

Alphataurus - st

Biglietto per l'Inferno - st

Campo di Marte - st

De De Lind - Io non so da dove vengo...

Jumbo - DNA

Metamorfosi - Inferno

Quella Vecchia Locanda - st

Panna Fredda - Uno

Area - Arbeit macht frei

Maxophone - st

Alusa Fallax - Intorno alla mia cattiva educazione

Stormy Six - L'apprendista

Cherry Five (Oliver) - st

Goblin - Il Fantastico Viaggio Del "Bagarozzo" Mark

Whoa, that's quite the selection of Italo prog, I picked up a few of those on a 'romantic' weekend break in Milan many moons ago...
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Sep 24, 2017, 21:02
Only new release I've got in recent times is Negative Chambers by Yair Elazar Glotman and Mats Erlandsson, a rather listen.

plus...

Various Artists - Berlin Atonal. CD with last month's Wire to coincide with the Atonal festival in August.

That's given me time to revisit releases from earlier in the year:

Temple of BBV - s/t. This has been on heavy rotation - the Gnod-Radar Men from the Moon collaboration. Love it.

Ancestral Voices - Divination. Interesting triple vinyl electronic album.

Overlook - Smoke Signals. Atmospheric drum & bass triple vinyl.

From the archive:

Twinkle3 and Sidsel Endresen - Debris in Lower Earth Orbit. Uncanny mix of electronic/wind instruments and Endresen's beautiful vocals.

Julian Cope - Woden

Max Richter - Sleep. The full 8 hours on MP3 played overnight. Of course I didn't hear most of it, but nice to drift in an out of sleep to hear it still going!
keith a
9565 posts

Sep 24, 2017, 23:01
New Chapter - Aswad
Garden Of Ashes – Duke Garwood
TFCF - Liars
2016 Atomized - The Raveonettes
Stranded - Roxy Music
Hippopotamus - Sparks
Adrift - Tarwater
Psychic Karaoke – Transglobal Underground
Restless Idylls – Tropic Of Cancer
Endless Nights – Vacant Lots
Neu Decade (Mojo CD) – V/A
Roll Up! Roll Up! (Uncut CD) - V/A
Modern Kosmology – Jane Weaver
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Sep 24, 2017, 23:19
keith a wrote:

Neu Decade (Mojo CD) – V/A

Haven't listened to this yet, but was a pleasant surprise when it arrived!
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index