Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 September 2017 CE

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 September 2017 CE
Sep 18, 2017, 10:00
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Always enjoy your lists, FBC - not least because we seem to share many records in common. You've encouraged me to dig out my Michael Nesmith LPs and my Jeno Jando Beethoven CDs, the latter bought when Woolies sold Naxos at £4 a throw. Happy days.

It's quite disorienting working your way through the Nesmith back catalogue and going from 'Ranch Stash' to 'The Prison' which sounds like it came 10 years later rather than the following year. I used to think this was due to the remixing he did for a later re-issue, but I've now managed to find the original mix and it's still surprisingly synth-y for 1974.

I do like those Naxos CDs - something very pleasing about the uniformity of the design (which I even ripped off for some EP's I released on Bandcamp) and they always seem to be good quality recordings at a cheap price. As we've discussed before, Beethoven is a composer who had a huge impact on me from an early age, but I still wonder why when I go through all his symphonies or sonatas or concertos in sequence there are some which hit me every time but others that merely impress from a technical point of view but I find otherwise un-involving, and I feel like I'm listening as a novice. I know you mentioned that you often get the most out of some works by having the score in front of you, but surely old Ludwig wanted his music to connect more easily than that?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index