Register
Unsung Forum »
remixed remastered recorded

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tk421
121 posts

remixed remastered recorded
Aug 30, 2017, 20:39
Some of the bands I liked, especially as a teenager, released albums that were later repudiated by the bands as having been part of a process of selling out or being vacuous or soulless.

I still enjoy them because they were my gateway into them; often these albums were an attempt at mainstream success that fell between two stools - not actually mainstream enough to succeed and not actually as eccentric as the rest of the artists' output to stand on a par with it. For me, some examples of this are

Julian's My Nation Underground
Bunnymen self titled 'grey album'
Psychedelic Furs - Midnight to Midnight

They are all denied and unloved by their creators.

However, because of the internet and release culture I realised I have several live versions and demo versions of the bunnymen album. I can make a version of that album that's better for me than the original.

I wonder why don't bands do that more? Why not have a second crack at an album that was not satisfactory to its creators? A lot of bands seem happy enough to remaster an album for release, and why not, but why not go one further and make it better?

imagine My Nation Underground recorded in the immediate and live fashion of the peggy suicide band or the interpreter/20 mothers band. It may not work but I'd like to hear it.
Unsung Forum Index