Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 August 2017 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 26 August 2017 CE
Aug 28, 2017, 23:44
Bill Mackay & Ryley Walker – SpiderBeetleBee. Twin acoustic instrumental album from the acclaimed Walker and lesser known friend. Perfectly nice, but didn’t make much impression.

ORB – Naturality. Off-kilter space/psych rock trio from Australia (I think). It’s got quite an interesting lo-fi plus primitive electronics vibe which puts me in mind of the mighty ‘Wind while not really sounding like them. Quite proggy in places too, though performed in a manner that suggests a band trying to hide its chops rather than foreground them. Definitely worthy of further investigation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQymyuYSSlQ

Motorpsycho – The Tower. Great great great, the first three tracks in particular are an incredibly strong start to an album.

Electric Wizard – Wizard Bloody Wizard. Didn’t mention last week just how indebted this is to the early caveman blues rock of Blue Cheer, Grand Funk, and of course, Sabbath.

Gilroy Mere – The Green Line

Brockmann/Bargmann – Licht

Jon Brooks – Autres Directions. Probably said this already, but this is a truly excellent ambient album in an endless drizzle of poor ones.

Tim Mislock – Now Is The Last Best Time

A Year In The Country – Undercurrents

Listen With Father:

David Bowie – Sound & Vision. Always so far ahead of the game. Is there a finer, or outrageously inventive, run of hit singles from an album as ‘Ashes To Ashes’, ‘Fashion’ and ‘Scary Monsters’?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Aug 29, 2017, 06:34
Fatalist wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Dif Juz - Soundpool

Ah, have also been listening to bits of pieces of DJ, as I have it in my head that they basically anticipated loads of post-rock groups such as Bark Psychosis by about ten years. One of those bands you feel that if more people knew them would be massively influential a la Talk Talk...

This was essentially what was running through my head on this listen as well.
Beebon
1375 posts

Aug 29, 2017, 06:48
Fatalist wrote:

Electric Wizard – Wizard Bloody Wizard. Didn’t mention last week just how indebted this is to the early caveman blues rock of Blue Cheer, Grand Funk, and of course, Sabbath.

Now I'm jealous! Any idea on the release date?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 29, 2017, 19:19
Nice list sir!
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Aug 29, 2017, 22:27
Thanks!
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Aug 29, 2017, 23:27
Beebon wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Now I'm jealous! Any idea on the release date?

20 Oct. The last EW album I have before this is Witchcult Today, so not completely up on them, but this is apparently "a new direction", though thankfully not in the 'Jazz Odyssey' sense.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index