Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 August 2017 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 August 2017 CE
Aug 20, 2017, 22:14
Not heard Not The Wheel tbh so will try and check that out.

I like the latest Goldfrapp album - there are 2-3 tracks that I really love. Then again I like them all! The one I need to go back to is Supernature as I always thought it sounded like an inferior Black Cherry Pt 2 whereas all the others have seen a change of direction from the previous release.
keith a
9565 posts

Aug 20, 2017, 22:16
1967 Sunshine Tomorrow - The Beach Boys
Recent 2 cd collection that is basically Wild Honey, unreleased session tracks from that and Smiley Smile and some live tracks. I like WH a lot so this is well worth getting AFAIC though the review I read was spot on about the live tracks. Pretty lack-lustre!

Sgt Peppers – The Beatles
The recent re-issue. I'm no audio freak but this sounds great! Really does sound fresh to my ears. And Macca's bass-playing sounds better than ever.

Also...
My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts – Eno / Byrne

Garden Of Ashes – Duke Garwood

Axis – Mugstar

Break Out – Pointer Sisters

Every Valley – Public Service Broadcasting

Stranded – Roxy Music

Burning The Threshold – Six Organs Of Admittance

Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret – Soft Cell

Musique Originale Du Film Donne-moi La Main – Tarwater

Wanted: Dead Or Alive - Peter Tosh

The Slider Studio Sessions – T.Rex
Tanx Studio Sessions – T.Rex

Endless Nights – Vacant Lots

Mojo Presents Muder Ballads – V/A

The First Letter - Wir
Read & Burn 1 - Wire
Read & Burn 2 - Wire
Silver/Lead – Wire
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 20, 2017, 22:16
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
Finally got round to getting this (on CD). Love the slightly clunky prog of the title track!

Isotope - Illusion
Holger Czukay - Movie!
Third Ear Band - Alchemy and Elements

Vinyl:

Devadip - Oneness (Silver Dreams - Golden Reality)
Still loving this cheapo find from a market in Devon. Great album.

Hawkwind - Warrior on The Edge of Time
Man how I love having this on vinyl - (thanks you-know-who!). What a great record.

vert:x - From Now To Now
Really great spacerock album, I keep coming back to listen to this again.

Pere Ubu - Datapanik In The Year Zero
Sounds as good now as it did back then.

Dahga Bloom - No Curtains
Haven't listened to this for a while, but boy this hit the spot tonight. Great raw and riffy garage psych.

Earthling Society - Ascent to Godhead
Pretty much the best thing I've heard all year. Honestly, this is just great.

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Mar Y Sol
Record Store Day live bootleg-style album from a couple of years back. Tarkus and Pictures, great stuff.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Aug 20, 2017, 23:32
Lots of new stuff this week…

Gilroy Mere – The Green Line. Latest from Clay Pipe Music, a gentler, more bucolic version of Ghost Box. This is a nice slice of dreamy folktronica, a musical travelogue inspired by the Green Line buses that used to serve the Home Counties around London. It’s not particularly challenging, but it’s thoughtful and well-arranged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ZL9eVnvUw

Electric Wizard – Wizard Bloody Wizard. Kind of the flipside of the above, though it’s similarly unchallenging in that it delivers what you expect and does it well. It’s by far the most ‘melodic’ EW album yet, and very Uncle Acid in places.

Antibalas – Where The Gods Are In Peace. Heavy Afrobeat collective from New York (and the main band of the guy behind Here Lies Man, who somebody on this forum is a big fan of…?). It’s good, though pretty much does what it says on the tin ie. a more guitar-intensive version of Fela Kuti’s sound: https://soundcloud.com/daptone-records/antibalas-gold-rush

Broen – I Love Art. Swedish art pop types, some pleasingly clever and quirky synth-driven tunes herein, bit like if Field Music went full-on 80s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3JBiVp_6bk

Brockmann/Bargmann – Licht. Trippy motorik instrumentals from two blokes who used to be in Camera, again not ground-breaking, but agreeably diverting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS_R4Swd-_w

Gökçen Kaynatan – s/t. Maverick Turkish electro psych/prog guy gets the Finders Keepers compilation treatment. There’s a certain element of exoticism/Orientalism about this stuff, but it’s fascinating listening nonetheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKMwHErP3LE

Motorpsycho – The Tower. Just fantastic, quite possibly their best.

Q is for…

Quartz – Satan’s Serenade. The very definition of hard rock journeymen, Quartz were active from the mid-70s, and supported all of the major players, but never really made it in their own right. This compilation of their first two albums and various singles demonstrates why: some decent riffs and good players, but they’re not quite heavy enough for the NWOBHM, with a proggy AOR tendency unhelpfully creeping in at times. Lacklustre production from Tony Iommi too (see also his career-sinking work with Necromandus) – and ultimately Quartz become a footnote in Sabbath’s timeline, with guitarist and keys player Geoff Nicholls effectively becoming the Sab’s fifth member from Heaven And Hell onwards. On the plus side, this does contain their perfectly decent stab at Mountain’s ‘Nantucket Sleighride’, aka the air-guitaring, headbanging title music to contemporary current affairs show Weekend World. And this has a fine opening riff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kid6AMzcimk
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Aug 21, 2017, 00:52
I feel, with Supernature all the Black Cherry-isms got turned to 11, though it does contain my two fav Goldfrapp tracks 'Ride A White Horse' and 'Ooh La La'.
I don't mind any of her albums truth be told, but after 7th Tree, I do find myself pulling the albums out of the racks less and less. Mind you, I could say the same about The Raveonettes.
Not The Wheel was a weird 'out-takes/versions' album from the late 90's/early 2000's/ It isn't an album proper, but does flow together pretty well even so.
Beebon
1375 posts

Aug 21, 2017, 07:06
Marillion - This Strange Engine
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Love - Love

The Fall - New Facts Emerge (Thought I'd give it a go having fallen way behind with their output over recent years. Not bad and I really like Couples Vs Jobless Mid 30s which is quite unlike anything else I have heard from The Fall before, even featuring quite a doomy riff)
The Fall - Perverted By Language (Old classic)

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Aug 21, 2017, 12:03
Fatalist wrote:

Electric Wizard – Wizard Bloody Wizard. Kind of the flipside of the above, though it’s similarly unchallenging in that it delivers what you expect and does it well. It’s by far the most ‘melodic’ EW album yet, and very Uncle Acid in places.

Is that a new EW album? Haven't seen anything with that title before.
Beebon
1375 posts

Aug 21, 2017, 14:48
bauheed wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Is that a new EW album? Haven't seen anything with that title before.

I was worried I overlooked something, however I think Bauheed made a typo or something because the band are called Wizard Blood Wizard
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Aug 21, 2017, 19:59
It is Electric Wizard. Autumn release. Fatalist is "on a list".
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 21, 2017, 21:59
Eric's got a new album out soon...
http://www.klanggalerie.com/gg247
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NlQEedJXo
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index