23 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2017, 00:05
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 12 August 2017 CE
Aug 14, 2017, 00:04
JuJu – Our Mother Was A Plant. Bloke from Lay Llamas in prog/psych/glam guise. I really liked the first JuJu album from a couple of years ago, this one on first listen is less immediately compelling, but clearly has some great tracks. And the haunting reverby, choiry vocals are still present and correct. Lead track really isn’t that representative, but worth a listen: https://soundcloud.com/fuzz-club/juju-and-play-a-game

Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band – Dreaming In The Non-Dream

Asimov – Truth

Listen With Father:

Stevie Nicks – ‘Edge Of Seventeen’. So, other than the fact she’s the floaty hippie chick in Fleetwood Mac, I know very little about Stevie Nicks (and bizarrely, given its ubiquity, I don’t think I’ve even heard Rumours in its entirety). This track features on the soundtrack of the original School Of Rock film – my kids are obsessed with the musical version, but they absolutely love this track. And it is indeed a bit of a stonker, if somewhat oddly structured – it’s basically the start of ‘Eye Of The Tiger’ (which it predates by a year) repeated for five minutes with some big 80s drums and Stevie Emoting Strongly all over it, err, kind of avant AOR… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8-4tjPxD8 (check out the lyrics if you dare…)

P is for…

Pregnant – Unusual Lover. And a very unusual band too. This is from the late 90s and can best be described as diseased funk rock made by men who should know better – the lyrics are alternatively absurd or filthy. Pregnant were based out of Bristol and operating at the same time as Massive Attack/Tricky/Portishead were making it Britain’s musical ground zero, and there’s a certain cross-over in attitude if not sound, unsurprisingly really given that the main guy behind the band was Gareth Sager from The Pop Group. An odd, but in places rather great album, which looks like it’s completely slipped through the cracks of music history – nothing on YouTube etc…
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index