Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 July 2017 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 July 2017 CE
Jul 31, 2017, 00:20
The Radiation Flowers – Summer Loop. Canadian psych-gazers really go into space rock overdrive on this (longish) mini-album, loving this track in particular: https://theradiationflowers.bandcamp.com/track/summer-of-burnout

Wand – Plum. Was a bit sniffy about this at first, but further listening reveals it to be rather bloody good, like a less-arch MGMT meets The Bends-era Radiohead, plus a good dash of classic west coast rock.

Jackson Boone – Natural Changes. From a couple of years ago, and one of those albums where you think, “blimey, why isn’t this bloke better known?” It’s the type of hazy melodic psych I can usually take or leave, but this is so perfectly redolent of Floyd circa Meddle/Obscured By Clouds that it’s pretty irresistible: https://jacksonboone.bandcamp.com/album/natural-changes

Kraftwerk – s/t. You know, I can kind of understand why Kraftwerk might want to write this (and the subsequent two albums) out of their history, as quite a bit of is, “Ah, Ralf, observe vot happens when I press mein finger down on this key for a series of minutes,” but it’s pretty great when they let the drummers play.

Sonic Youth – ‘Expressway To Yr Skull’. The Radiation Flowers album, with its Kim Gordon-esque vocals, got me thinking about SY, and this track in particular (err, which doesn’t feature KG on vocs): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP4I_kHmC-Q Easy to forget that SY’s 80s’ albums invented an entire genre of indie/nu psych/drone music that’s still being vigorously mined today.

O is for…

Jim O’Rourke – Simple Songs. Oh Jim, if only they were. Came out a couple of years ago to much excitement, JOR vocal albums being a pretty rare event, but seemed to get quickly shuffled under the carpet once people got to actually hear it. It’s certainly not a bad album, but the cleverness and knowingness of JOR’s modus operandi seem to have overwhelmed the songs on this occasion, the folky/jazzy singer songwriter shtick making them difficult to get a proper grip on and relax into. Perhaps I ain’t sofisticated enuff… Nice opener though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qA9rAaeEOs
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 31, 2017, 13:12
bauheed wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
White Hills - Stop Mute Defeat
Under-rated.

I think it's a bit of a grower. Didn't grab me at first in the same way as many of their previous releases, but I really like it after a few listens.

Definitely. It has a depth to it, doesn't it? A bit different to their previous albums - maybe more experimental?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jul 31, 2017, 13:16
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I love that Devadip album too. The solo LPs Santana did in that late 70s phase were much purer and creative than the AOR stuff he was bringing out with his official band. I'm even fonder of 'The Swing of Delight' which was one of my favourite tapes to drive to back in the day. I associate those vibes with the A1 in Yorkshire at night...as I do 'Arc of a Diver', but that's another story.

I might have to get Swing of Delight then - cheers!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 31, 2017, 14:16
bauheed wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Ultramarine = Folk/ Bel Air/ Users Guide/ United Kingdoms/ This Time Next Year

United Kingdoms is a great album. I've not listened to it in years as I have it on cassette, but no longer the means to play it. Must get a digital copy. Never got round to getting any of their other albums. Really should investigate those as well.

It's my favourite of them but I like them all and they've really been hitting the spot for me these last couple of weeks. "Folk", their debut, is something of a wild card as they were more of a band feel about them then, and so the sound is more organic sounding than what came afterwards, with live drums and guitars in parts. But the beginnings of the pastoral electronica sound they made their own is present.
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Aug 02, 2017, 00:37
What do you think of Cornell?
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Aug 02, 2017, 09:35
yes, I agree. I think they needed to do something a bit different. I saw them live a few weeks ago when it had only just come out. Kind of wish I could see them again, now that I've had more of a chance to absorb the new material.
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Aug 05, 2017, 22:45
What do you think to Cornell?
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index