The official video is creepy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98gj0z0RkXE
radagast
radagast
264 posts

Re: England Lost
Jul 28, 2017, 13:58
He must have changed his mind then:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3524578/EU-t-want-Rolling-Stone-Mick-Jagger-says-Brexit-good-us.html

Anyway - fuckmick, he's obviously one of those hypocritical twats who just now realize the world around them is going down the drain after living decades in wealth and egocentric arrogance. Too late now, Mr. Jagger...
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Jul 29, 2017, 01:36
Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners, saints
As heads is tails
etc.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Aug 01, 2017, 12:13
When the suited geezer whistled "Land of Hope and Glory" (Pomp and Circumstance March No 1) at the end when he signally failed to swim away from England it was quite reminiscent of The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu's "It's Grim Up North" when they play "Jerusalem" as a coda. I remember they had Morris Dancers on TOTP and the maidens of Mu (Why, What, Where and When). But that was 25 years ago surely Mick would be a bit more contemporary than that?
I'm not sure what Mick wanted to do with this record... he should maybe have done some remixing of that great charidee record he made with the late David Bowie back in 1985. That was 32 years ago so he would have needed to update it a bit as it just isn't relevant any more like it was 32 years ago in 1985 when it saved all the starving. Bowie is quite big currency just now so it might have flown...

Jagger could have called his new record "England Lost The Dancing In The Street Fighting Man" and replaced the "Boston, Philly, Oklahoma City, New York etc...") with some of the place names from the Jamms record "Pendlebury, Prestwich, Preston... Chester, Chorley, Cheedle Hulme, Ormskirk, Accrington Stanley and Leigh". It would make it more English and sort of themed.

"England Lost" seems to be a song about a suited dude's wet visit to a crap football match when England lost. In deep disappointment he tries to swim away from his England but is dragged back onshore by two cops representing the multicultural England and then is gazed at by a multi-age, multi-gender, multi-ethnic group on the sandy English shore and a child asks him "Where do you think you could go?". The child then tells the suited dude to "Pull yourself together."

I think his last really good record was "Some Girls". Grant Stott played the sweary (in the middle of the afternoon" 12" Special Disco Version of "Miss You" on his Vinyl Collective a week last Sunday. It rocked my car from Moffat all the way up to the Devil's Beeftub.
Unsung Forum Index