Julian Cope presents Head Heritage

Head To Head
Log In
Register
Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Log In to post a reply

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2254 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 12:43
keith a wrote:
Amrita – Loop Guru
I never rated this as highly as their fab debut, Duniya, but hearing it in its own right all these yeasr later it is still a damn fine album.


Couldn't agree more, on both counts.
mingtp
mingtp
2254 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 12:49
Fatalist wrote:
Sun Dial – Other Way Out. Was too busy shoegazing or something when this originally came out at the start of the 90s. Interesting bridge between old and nu psych, particularly like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxPV9GuWHQ


That has always been in my top ten favourite albums of all time, and will probably stay there. They were fabulous live too, BITD. Not seen them for years but I know they're still going.

This album, along with the first Masters of Reality, holds the record in my collection for having been bought the most times. But, damn, the vinyl was such an amazing thing of loveliness when I got that, the gatefold is stunning.

Aah, the memories.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2463 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 13:28
All Is Dream - Mercury Rev
The Secret Migration - Mercury Rev
Snowflake Midnight - Mercury Rev

Silver Box - Simple Minds

Wildflower - The Avalanches

Lipstick Trace - Manic Street Preachers

The Man Who - Travis
12 Memories - Travis

Aural Sculpture - The Stranglers

Blood and Chocolate - Elvis Costello
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5851 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 13:38
Fatalist wrote:
Bark Psychosis – Hex. Getting the big reissue treatment soon, no doubt with much trumpet blowing from the press. But personally, while this might be the album for which the term ‘post-rock’ was originally coined, I’ve never quite got over my disappointment with it after the astonishing 20 minute plus single ‘Scum’ which came before it. Yes, it’s all very lush and nocturnal, but often as not, it doesn’t really go anywhere – driving endlessly over the Westway at 3am as a metaphor might sound like heaven to some, but in terms of atmosphere and dynamics, there’s nothing here that’s a patch on ‘Scum’. The whispered/murmured vocals also do my head in after a while. And the comparison with late period Talk Talk, which was entirely valid re ‘Scum’, really isn’t that strong – Hex is more like a proggy take on the classic 4AD sound. It’s not a bad album, just not as great as many claim.


Good assessment. I was late coming to Bark Psychosis, hoping for something in the Disco Inferno vein (as they were both lumped under the post-rock label). I like Hex, but compared to the DI stuff it feels a little aimless.
Fatalist
Fatalist
872 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 14:07
thesweetcheat wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Bark Psychosis – Hex. Getting the big reissue treatment soon, no doubt with much trumpet blowing from the press. But personally, while this might be the album for which the term ‘post-rock’ was originally coined, I’ve never quite got over my disappointment with it after the astonishing 20 minute plus single ‘Scum’ which came before it. Yes, it’s all very lush and nocturnal, but often as not, it doesn’t really go anywhere – driving endlessly over the Westway at 3am as a metaphor might sound like heaven to some, but in terms of atmosphere and dynamics, there’s nothing here that’s a patch on ‘Scum’. The whispered/murmured vocals also do my head in after a while. And the comparison with late period Talk Talk, which was entirely valid re ‘Scum’, really isn’t that strong – Hex is more like a proggy take on the classic 4AD sound. It’s not a bad album, just not as great as many claim.


Good assessment. I was late coming to Bark Psychosis, hoping for something in the Disco Inferno vein (as they were both lumped under the post-rock label). I like Hex, but compared to the DI stuff it feels a little aimless.


Seek out the ManMan Ep by BP (which came before 'Scum'), some vaguely DI-ish stuff on there. Their much later Codename:Dustsucker album (essentially a Graham Sutton solo LP) is more electronic, but a bit so_so.
Monganaut
Monganaut
1696 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 14:53
Spacemen 3 - Forged Prescriptions

Led Zep - Remasters

Pink Floyd - Piper...

Can - The Singles

Oneida - Rated O

The Specials - Singles

Fu Manchu - King Of The Road/ Go For it (Live)

David Bowie - Bowie At The Beeb

Broadcast - Future Crayon

Dollkraut - Holy Ghost People

Dope - Cassette

Coldcut and On u Sound - Outside The Echo Chamber

Pop Group - Citizen Zombie

Chain and the Gang - Best Of Crime Rock

Robert Calvert - Capt Lockheed...

Might Boosh - Radio Shows

Various - Indie 1979

Various - Deutsche Elektronische Musik Vol 1

Various - Mojo 2015

Have a good week.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5851 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 16:38
Cheers for the recommend, I have a couple of their singles but nothing that early :)
garerama
garerama
519 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 22:25
Fatalist wrote:


N is for…

Neon Pearl – s/t. Not an album as such, but a collection of demoes from 1967 retrospectively reissued around the turn of the century, point of interest being that Neon Pearl was Pete Dunton and Bernard Jink’s first band, they of the mighty T2. (Oh, coincidental connection with Sun Dial too, whose Acme label first put this album out) This is a collection of mostly moody psych pop songs, in fact downright gloomy in places, particularly given the year. No lost classics, though I think one track is a very early version of T2’s ‘Fantasy’, but Dunton’s strange, shivery vocal delivery is already fully-formed: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXHOP5nnC4


Absolutely love this album - I find it very ahead of it's time. "Just Another Day" is in my view a lost gem. Worth checking out the two albums by Please - very similar band around that time with Pete Dunton - less gloomy though!
Fatalist
Fatalist
872 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2017, 23:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 24, 2017, 23:33
garerama wrote:
Fatalist wrote:


N is for…

Neon Pearl – s/t. Not an album as such, but a collection of demoes from 1967 retrospectively reissued around the turn of the century, point of interest being that Neon Pearl was Pete Dunton and Bernard Jink’s first band, they of the mighty T2. (Oh, coincidental connection with Sun Dial too, whose Acme label first put this album out) This is a collection of mostly moody psych pop songs, in fact downright gloomy in places, particularly given the year. No lost classics, though I think one track is a very early version of T2’s ‘Fantasy’, but Dunton’s strange, shivery vocal delivery is already fully-formed: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXHOP5nnC4


Absolutely love this album - I find it very ahead of it's time. "Just Another Day" is in my view a lost gem. Worth checking out the two albums by Please - very similar band around that time with Pete Dunton - less gloomy though!


Yes, I have Seeing Stars, nice. Pete Dunton must be one of the unluckiest guys in rock, seems to have an enormous back catalogue of albums that only saw the light of day retrospectively! Other than appearances on records by The Flies and Gun, I think It'll All Work Out In Boomland and a solo single were the only things of his that came out at the time?
garerama
garerama
519 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 July 2017 CE
Jul 25, 2017, 20:52
Fatalist wrote:
garerama wrote:
Fatalist wrote:


N is for…

Neon Pearl – s/t. Not an album as such, but a collection of demoes from 1967 retrospectively reissued around the turn of the century, point of interest being that Neon Pearl was Pete Dunton and Bernard Jink’s first band, they of the mighty T2. (Oh, coincidental connection with Sun Dial too, whose Acme label first put this album out) This is a collection of mostly moody psych pop songs, in fact downright gloomy in places, particularly given the year. No lost classics, though I think one track is a very early version of T2’s ‘Fantasy’, but Dunton’s strange, shivery vocal delivery is already fully-formed: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIXHOP5nnC4


Absolutely love this album - I find it very ahead of it's time. "Just Another Day" is in my view a lost gem. Worth checking out the two albums by Please - very similar band around that time with Pete Dunton - less gloomy though!


Yes, I have Seeing Stars, nice. Pete Dunton must be one of the unluckiest guys in rock, seems to have an enormous back catalogue of albums that only saw the light of day retrospectively! Other than appearances on records by The Flies and Gun, I think It'll All Work Out In Boomland and a solo single were the only things of his that came out at the time?


Yes, think you are right there. The other T2 album (demos) was released in the nineties too. The Bulldog Breed album might have been released at the time though... The other Please album is worth a listen too. That Flies song Winter Afternoon is another gem.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index