SydArthur July 17 - John Coltrane

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Jul 17, 2017, 21:56
SydArthur July 17 - John Coltrane
Jul 17, 2017, 21:56
Okay, full respect to Julian, Dorian and Avalon for hosting this festival, and for the informative writing and tasty musical selections. But why did they choose to omit the very important death (and life) of John Coltrane, who died 50 years ago today?

I get that not everyone likes jazz, but to ignore such a monumental cultural and musical icon, who brought about such radical changes to not only the sounds of jazz, but the very identity of the black youth during the era of civil rights. Though he did not specifically endorse the Black Panthers, he was a supporter of Malcolm X and Dr. King, and it was John Coltrane's freedom calls on the saxophone which were answered by the marginalized black population of America.

He died too young, but he left behind an legacy of endless inspiration and expression. So today, listen to any of his recordings, but especially dig this live version of "Alabama", written by John in response to the KKK bombing of a Baptist church which killed 4 young girls in 1963. Never have so few words emparted so much meaning.

https://youtu.be/saN1BwlxJxA

"Music is an expression of higher ideals ... brotherhood is there; and I believe with brotherhood, there would be no poverty ... there would be no war ... I know that there are bad forces, forces put here that bring suffering to others and misery to the world, but I want to be a force which is truly for good."
-John Coltrane-1966
5-Track
5-Track
193 posts

Re: SydArthur July 17 - John Coltrane
Jul 18, 2017, 01:26
Citizensmurf wrote:
Okay, full respect to Julian, Dorian and Avalon for hosting this festival, and for the informative writing and tasty musical selections. But why did they choose to omit the very important death (and life) of John Coltrane, who died 50 years ago today?

I get that not everyone likes jazz, but to ignore such a monumental cultural and musical icon, who brought about such radical changes to not only the sounds of jazz, but the very identity of the black youth during the era of civil rights. Though he did not specifically endorse the Black Panthers, he was a supporter of Malcolm X and Dr. King, and it was John Coltrane's freedom calls on the saxophone which were answered by the marginalized black population of America.

He died too young, but he left behind an legacy of endless inspiration and expression. So today, listen to any of his recordings, but especially dig this live version of "Alabama", written by John in response to the KKK bombing of a Baptist church which killed 4 young girls in 1963. Never have so few words emparted so much meaning.

https://youtu.be/saN1BwlxJxA

"Music is an expression of higher ideals ... brotherhood is there; and I believe with brotherhood, there would be no poverty ... there would be no war ... I know that there are bad forces, forces put here that bring suffering to others and misery to the world, but I want to be a force which is truly for good."
-John Coltrane-1966

Meets the 'psychedelic' requirement too, OM was supposedly recorded (in Seattle no less) while tripping in a friend's recording studio?
Unsung Forum Index