Register
Unsung Forum »
Feedback on the JC deluxe reissues and Head Heritage releases

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
van1
7 posts

Feedback on the JC deluxe reissues and Head Heritage releases
Jul 02, 2017, 23:35
I kind of stopped buying JC after 'Interpreter' (well, it did go quiet on the release front for a while :) )

I now have to buy all the deluxe reissues, whats the general consensus on the Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill 2 cd sets?

I also see that there is a 2 disc floored genius vol 2 and also volumes 3 and 4, are these still available from HH?

thanks
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Feedback on the JC deluxe reissues and Head Heritage releases
Jul 03, 2017, 01:52
Not sure if that was a joke, but he's not stopped making music since 1996. Maybe the "official" solo albums took a break whole he was finishing the MA book, but Rite2, Queen Elizabeth 2,Brain Donor, Dark Orgasm and Black Sheep are just a few of the ones to check out.

See this handy timeline of releases to help you out. http://www.headheritage.co.uk/julian_cope/discography/

As for the deluxe reissues, honestly I never play them more than the original albums, and the Jehovahkill one apparently has worse sound. Spend that money on some of the newer, well 20 year old albums instead I say. Heck, start with Dope.
van1
7 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 04:18
Thanks for the reply.

Was a serious question but maybe moe to do with my general lack of awareness of ongoing new material.

As for the reissues, have read bad things about jehovakill and since i have the 'fear loves' cds i might just avoid.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Jul 03, 2017, 14:08
Jul 03, 2017, 10:58
The deluxe version of Jehovahkill is worth getting for the bonus disc of rarities, which includes a 20-minute version of Poet is Priest. I still play my original '92 issue for the proper album, though.

The expanded edition of FG2 is worth tracking down, too, for the extra BBC tracks.

I wasn't as impressed with the extra material on the Peggy Suicide reissue.

After '96 Cope switched to self-releasing his music, so unless you were on his mailing / e-mail list, it was probably easy to miss the stuff he's been doing since then. Enjoy catching up!
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jul 03, 2017, 19:41
I compulsively bought all of the Teardrops releases and Julian's stuff from 79 until 1996. After Interpreter I had lotsa other priorities (like a kid came along) and there wasn't much (any) spare cash around for years so I missed out on most of the post-Interpreter stuff and I wasn't on that early Interweb either, however I was on the KAK list and did get some news of releases through in the KAKalogues. I also got some nice postcards (thanks JC!).
I now breeze back and fill the gaps at my leisure and purchase stuff through Julian's till whenever possible (Black Sheep, You Gotta Problem, Audience with The Cope etc intermittently re-appear on the Merchandiser section for sale through HH). I pick up the odd disc on EBay. Some of the "extras" discs turn up on Blog sites (if you've bought the original CDs and lack the "rarities" discs...).
The HH/ LY Trip Advizer compilation from a few years back is (to my mind) an utterly fantastic compilation of some of JC's work (1999-2014) and well worth paying £11.99 for HH to send you a copy (you also get a free download only EP).

Saying that, I still play Kilimanjaro, Wilder, Piano, Peel Sessions, Shag etc. with some regularity. Indeed the cheapo Teardrops compilation "The Greatest Hit" (which has the 7" edit of "When I Dream" and the orchestral version of "Suffocate") never leaves my car. It has eased a troubled mind on many a journey.
Some of the early 00's stuff commands silly prices (Dark Orgasm etc) and Floored Genius volume 4 can be tricky to pick up, but hey... you don't need to gorge everything at once. Grazing is better fun...

Now as for Rite, Odin, Woden, Queen Elizabeth, Brain Donor... maybe that is for another post
Unsung Forum Index