Unsung Forum »
Live Guitar Jams Recs Please

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Live Guitar Jams Recs Please
Jul 06, 2017, 14:42
Do albums that were recorded live in the studio count?

If so I'd add the Hampton Grease Band's "Music to Eat" and Beefheart's "Mirror Man".
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jul 06, 2017, 23:45
I love Devotion..Larry Young RIP
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2017, 01:36
Jul 07, 2017, 01:03
Wishbone Ash - Live Dates. Pilgrimage has some great live bits on it as well.

Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees

Spirit - Live at The Rainbow.

Slade - Slade Alive. In a Noddy Holder autobiography I read (I know, contains a disturbing anecdote about a glass coffee table and what a German gentleman wanted to pay Noddy to do... can't remember if he wanted him to do it whilst wearing the sparkly hat) he described their sound as all of them soloing at the same time all the time - so it counts.

The Guess Who - Live At The Paramount.

Thin White Rope - The One That Got Away.

Lots of the Groundhogs stuff is basically live in the studio.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 07, 2017, 11:42
I neglected to add several other SST related bands
Husker Du from 84 onwards particularly & especially live.
which continues into Bob Mould's early live stuff as you can hear on the bonus live stuff with the Workbook 25th anniversary set. There in a band with Tony Maimone and Anton Fier.

Saccharine trust beatnik poetry over improvised guitar stuff.

Dinosaur Jr, probably goes without saying really.
Sonic Youth and solo Thurston and Lee stuff.

Das Damen deeply psychy stuff

Phantom Tolllbooth Dave rick who played guitar with Bongwater's band though the vocals are an acquired taste.
Bongwater themselves though its mainly studio. Some very great guitar throughout though.

Gateway John Abercombie's guitar trio
Power Tools Bill Frisell's guitar trio with Melvin Gibbs and Ronald Shannon jackson.
Frisell was later replaced by Pete Cosey, though i've yet to hear the results.

Last Exit Iron path
the band's one studio lp. Very visceral psychedelic instrumental stuff. It was reissued on ESP a couple of years back and is pretty essential.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Jul 07, 2017, 19:09
Stevo wrote:

Santana/Mclaughlin Love , Devotion, Surrender and even more so the live sets from the tour promoting it

& Has anybody mentioned Agitation Free whose 2nd lp sounds like it is coming straight from an S.F. ballroom though channeled through Germany.

I've got some mp3s from the Love Devotion Surrender tour from Big O, that I've never listened to. Time to dig them out I think.

And yes, you're correct, I'm sure a lot of the Krautrock stuff carries a heavy west coast influence.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Jul 07, 2017, 19:19
machineryelf wrote:

I'll add Man to the list , just released a 5cd box set of Live LPs which are superb

Gov't Mule try here http://www.nyctaper.com/tag/govt-mule/

I've had a vinyl copy of Back Into the Future since the 70s, but I think I've only played the live disc once. (My dad was a Presbyterian church organist and choirmaster. As my mum sang in the choir, I was forced to attend choir practice as a reluctant observer, listening to hymns, Psalms, light entertainment standards and the occasional pop novelty, eg Lily the Pink and Yellow Submarine. I therefore developed an aversion to choral music.)
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Jul 07, 2017, 19:31
Popel Vooje wrote:
Do albums that were recorded live in the studio count?

".

Yes. I'm trying to find more lovely spaced-out noodly elongated electric guitar workouts like Dark Star and the Pies version of I walk on Gilded Splinters.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2017, 19:47
Jul 07, 2017, 19:32
Robot Emperor wrote:

Slade - Slade Alive.

Good call on Wishbone Ash. Had forgotten about them.

I note the Spirit album is from 78. I had thought they had peaked by then.

I would have bet my house on Slade not appearing on this list, but there you go.

Interesting what you say about the Groundhogs, and something like 3744 James Rd certainly has a live feel. But, I recently listened to a Grounshogs BBC live concert recording from around the time that McPhees 2 Sides Of solo album came out. I would say the live versions of were pretty different to the studio cuts.

A killer version of Soldier, clicking in about 12 mins.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 07, 2017, 19:51
I was thinking of Wishbone Ash earlier too. I think all the early live stuff is interesting but especially the limited edition e.p. thing that came as bonus tracks on the 1 disc Argus remaster. Sounds like a meeting point between prog and the ballroom sound.

There have been a few early live sets turned up on torrent sites over the years I've been looking but only a couple from that early.

Eric Bell era Thin Lizzy has everybody playing both rhythm and lead simultaneously and continually. I really like their trio era.
John (du) Cann of Atomic rooster wound up playing guitar with the 4 piece in '74 which has at least one live set circulating.
Wish there was more Atomic Rooster around of his era.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2017, 21:34
Jul 07, 2017, 20:19
flatboxertwin wrote:
Robot Emperor wrote:

Slade - Slade Alive.

Good call on Wishbone Ash. Had forgotten about them.

I note the Spirit album is from 78. I had thought they had peaked by then.

I would have bet my house on Slade not appearing on this list, but there you go.

Interesting what you say about the Groundhogs, and something like 3744 James Rd certainly has a live feel. But, I recently listened to a Grounshogs BBC live concert recording from around the time that McPhees 2 Sides Of solo album came out. I would say the live versions of were pretty different to the studio cuts.

A killer version of Soldier, clicking in about 12 mins.

The later Spirit stuff I only came across because of this site. Spirit of 76 (studio album) is great. The Spirit Live at the Rainbow album was mentioned in a thread here a few years ago about live albums by KC (err actually Squid Tempest) - and he was right.

The Groundhogs - I think the songs were different every time he played them. I've been listening to Thank Christ For The Bomb a lot recently, that and Split and Hogwash are a bit of a high water mark as far as British Blues are concerned. John Lee Hooker in a prog band... writing all the songs...

Thinking about it, how about Earthless? Did a great cover of Cherry Red, and had a song called Flower Travelin' Man. First couple of albums should scratch that guitar itch.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index