Live Guitar Jams Recs Please

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Live Guitar Jams Recs Please
Jul 02, 2017, 14:36
Been listening a lot to Live Dead, The Allmans Fillmore Concerts and Humble Pie Rocking The Fillmore.

What am I missing out on?
hallgeraet
hallgeraet
96 posts

Re: Live Guitar Jams Recs Please
Jul 02, 2017, 16:24
Fleetwood Mac - Live in Boston

Peter Green - End of the Game, not live but has a laid-back Dead-jam vibe
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2017, 09:39
Jul 02, 2017, 17:51
Caspar Brotzmann Massaker Home & whatever other live stuff you can pick up by the original trio

Lifetime Village Gate, Emergency!

Jefferson Airplane After Bathing at baxters, Bless its pointed Little Head, Fillmore 68.
Big Brother & the Holding Co Winterland 68

Henry Cow Concerts & loads of the other live stuff.

Larry Coryell all the early 70s stuff & the Free Spirits live set that came out on Sunbeam.

Ray Russell
Terje Rypdal

Santana Fillmore '68, live sets taht are bonus on the expnded 1st 3 lps. Lotus.

Amon Duul II yeti's improvisations , the live in Munich '69 set.

Television LIve at The Waldorf
the Stooges You Don't WAnt My Name you Want My Actiuon (though sound still isn't pristine)
MC5 live sets
Meat Puppets whatever live sets you can pick up

Black Flag Marquee '84

Jimi Hendrix Berkeley '70 (& most other live places but Berkeley has a ferocious attack)

Richard Thompson loads, trying to find the name of the set I had on my walkman which I think was from Mississippi in the late 80s but he was doing lengthy guitar impro0visations throughout his career.
The Richard & Linda Thompson IN Concert November 1975 has quite a bit I think. As do the extended versions of their lps that came out in the island series in the early 00s.

Velvet Underground Complete Matrix Tapes and earlier stuff from the Cale years, the Columbia University set that came out wityh the expanded & Nico box has some too as does the gymnasium set that you can now get as teh expanded White Light/White Heat.

John Martyn Inside Out.

Quicksilver Messenger Service the set that has been Lost Gold & Silver and several other releases. or basically anything of them live when they had 2 guitarists and no Jimmy.
Deep Purple Made In japan, Live in Sweden.

Whatever live Gong from Steve Hillage era you can find.

Miles davis electric era especialy when Pete Cosey's in the band.
Funkadelic 1st lp.

Grateful Dead Two from The Vault, 100 Year Hall, Sunshine daydream, Dicks Picks vol 4, 8,

Mad River though that's mainly studio
Day Of Phoenix Wide Open N-Way (guitar here always reminds me of Mad river)

Conqueroo Live at The Vulcan Gas Co.

Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes if you can get over his later politics.

Thin White Rope one of the best twin guitar bands since Television.

Black Sabbath stretched out quite far live.

Byrds when Clarence White was on guitar. Sop the fillmore Februuary '69 set is great. November '68 even more so if you can find it.

Shockabilly. (& probably BALL which i think was the same rhythm section, different guitarist)

Frumious Bandersnatch I have A Young Man's song but i think they've been recompiled since.

Gun Club Ahmed's Wild dream (later era focuses even more on guitar interplay but not sure what's around that's legal)

Tim Buckley Return of the Starsailor the Knebworth '74 boot. I don't think Honeyman has the same line up , certainly not the same energy.
Also the Troubadour '69 and Dream letter sets for live lee Underwood or find the live Starsailor band material.

Dream Syndicate day Before Wine and roses live radio set recorded a coupl eof weeks before their debut lp hence the title. But most of their live stuff is up at Archive.org. I thin they're best when original bassist Kendra Smith was still in the band

and a few others which will come to me later.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 17:52
Good call thanks. I'd all but forgotten about Peter Green and FM MK1.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 18:10
Wow, that's quite a list, with a lot of unexpected suggestions. Thanks!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2017, 18:52
Jul 02, 2017, 18:44
Forgot

Great Society Live At The Matrix (combination o fthe 2 late 60s releases conspicuous In its Absence and How it Was)

Allmen joy (NB totally different Sf band to the Allman Bros Allman joys) live set from December 67 at the Red dog in Denver Colarado. I think the guitarist was black and this is one of the earliest covers of 13FE's You're Gonna Miss Me.

Santana/Mclaughlin Love , Devotion, Surrender and even more so the live sets from the tour promoting it.

D.P. Misiani & Shirati jazz Kings of history again studio stuff but incredible guitar stuff that you might well get into if you dig the dead etc.

& Has anybody mentioned Agitation Free whose 2nd lp sounds like it is coming straight from an S.F. ballroom though channeled through Germany.

Trees whose guitar is truly transcendent on both released lps.

George Benson in CTI Allstars on the California concert lp. Especially the tracks with the more stripped down band without a horn. I love teh version of Red clay on there.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 18:54
I'll second Stevo's choice of Quicksilver and Nugent, Black Flag as well , The Process of Weeding Out is definitely a guitar jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_BqufJhHYA

I'll add Man to the list , just released a 5cd box set of Live LPs which are superb

Gov't Mule try here http://www.nyctaper.com/tag/govt-mule/
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 02, 2017, 19:57
I was going to add the early live Man stuff I've heard. Especially the period around '70 where they sounded like the Mirror Man era Magic Band.
Not seen what's in that box set yet.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Jul 06, 2017, 01:37
The Santana and McLaughlin Invitation To Illumination CD which is Love Devotion Surrender and a whole lot more live at Montreux is excellent
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 06, 2017, 13:01
That's tehm about 4o years later. There are about 8 sets of them live with a band including Larry Young and several of the other sidemen from teh studio set.

The Mclaughllin studio set Devotion is also worth checking out.

As is Love Cry Want by Larry Young and co. Recorded live across the road from the White House with pretty much everybody using heavy distortion. Really other stuff.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index