Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 July 2017 CE

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 1 July 2017 CE
Jul 02, 2017, 18:47
The Bug vs Earth – Concrete Desert sounds like the Bug Vs Earth , not driving music , really should try this in better circumstances

Plastickman – Arkive not all of it, but putting the lot on a memory stick and hitting shuffle brings up a pleasantly varied selection

Fen – Carrion Skies atmospheric black metal, which means it sounds like a really angry Explosions In The Sky sometimes, and just really angry at other times,

Voivod – Nothingface, The Outer Limits the 17min Jack Luminous on the Outer Limits is the highlight but both these are well worth a listen is you fancy some slightly off kilter metal

Oresund Space Collective – The Black Tomato Improvised psych, great listen but not likely to convert non believers

Secret Saucer – Element 115 more improvised pysch, lotsa space, lovely guitars, if you like this stuff I’d recommend this

Mayan Ruins – Temple of Starry Wisdom free download https://aumegaproject.bandcamp.com/album/temple-of-starry-wisdom
Tribal drumming, lotsa guitar and violins, krautyrocky Curved Air, what’s not to like

Kingdom of the Holy Sun – Jesus In India https://kingdomoftheholysun.bandcamp.com/album/jesus-in-india-demos not so keen, but it is a demo

Ennio Morricone – Gold master of the soundtrack etc, gets a bit dull without the pictures

Mark Lanegan – Gargoyle on fine form, just got tickets to see him, Mrs Elf is very excited [so Am I] so I can top up my collection of Lanegan live cds

Pete Sinfield – Still wrote the lyrics for ELP, need I say more. The reviews on line mention King Crimson a lot, quite why beyond he also wrote the lyrics for the 1st Crimson LP is beyond me, John Wetton is on it I suppose, musically it sounds like a wimpy ELP, lyrically depends on how you view ‘The gardener plants an evergreen,Whilst trampling on a flower.I chase the wind of a prism ship,To taste the sweet and sour’ strangely compelling, it isn’t boring which is a plus point

Streetwalkers – Live ex Family and Jeff Beck, this seems to get a pasting in the reviews but it’s a classic IMHO 70s rock par excellence, the twin guitars are not your classic Wishbone Ash/Thin Lizzy axe attack or even your Stones Rhythm /lead but they weave and bob around each other beautifully

Wall of Voodoo – Granma’s House was cowboy punk ever a thing, new wave compilation classic, still sounding great

Bill Withers – Managerie – because when I played this it was a lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day, lovely day,etc

Bachman Turner Overdrive – II,Four Wheel Drive let’s rock

System of a Down – Mezmerize,Hypnotize surprised to see they headlined Download a while back, then again underneath the angular jabbing and guttural screams the heart of a pop monster lurks, probably the best Armenian metal band in the world
Film of the week Captain Fantastic Viggo Mortensen, George Mackay comedy drama , absolutely gorgeous film, about a bunch of under the radar alt lifestyle kids, I laughed , I cried , I cried some more and laughed again, it’s free on Amazon prime which I accidently signed up for, 30 days to watch American Gods and hopefully find another decent film before I cancel as prime seems to mostly = shit
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index