Chinatown - Thin Lizzy
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Jun 26, 2017, 20:39
Radiohead at Glastonbury
Jun 26, 2017, 20:38
Fatalist wrote:

[Radiohead – Live at Glastonbury on your telly. They’re just bloody good, aren’t they? Rolled out all the ‘hits’ at the end (most of which didn’t bother the top 20 at the time, now received like sacred texts), but I love the fact they started the set so quietly. ’15 Steps’ was particularly good.]

They ARE bloody good. As they proved in abundance last Friday, they can enwrap and enthral a city's worth of people not with hollow, rack & roll posturing but with the sheer quality of their music and their music making. I don't think there's ever been a more unlikely rock frontman than Thom Yorke, and yet his modest stage presence makes him far more shamanic and mesmerising than any number of his more animated imitators. His art - and that of the whole band - speaks for itself.

Their set list was masterful: enough of the "hits" to keep the casuals happy, but interspersed with loads of less obvious tracks from their entire catalogue. Yeah, starting off quietly with 'Daydreaming' was genius: but then following that with one of the slowest songs from their biggest album was even better. And 'Lotus Flower' as an encore? Cor. This was far from the obvious and crowd pleasing set that Saturday's lauded headliners (who I quite like, by the way) delivered, but to my jaded ears it was infinitely more powerful.

And only two songs from their latest album, yet four from 'In Rainbows'? Well, I'm not complaining. In fact, I agree with Mark Radcliffe that 'Nude' was probably the set's peak - but my, it had some competition there.

Was it just me, or were the "hits" played ever so slightly slower than on record? Maybe that's how they managed to sound so intense. I wasn't there - I only watched it from my armchair, with a bowlful of tudor and half a bottle of Shetland Reel, but shit man...they had me prisoner. I went to bed about 1 AM and didn't drift off for hours, so wired had the sounds of those five blokes made me.

Yes, they are indeed bloody good.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Radiohead at Glastonbury
Jun 27, 2017, 19:46
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

[Radiohead – Live at Glastonbury on your telly. They’re just bloody good, aren’t they? Rolled out all the ‘hits’ at the end (most of which didn’t bother the top 20 at the time, now received like sacred texts), but I love the fact they started the set so quietly. ’15 Steps’ was particularly good.]

They ARE bloody good. As they proved in abundance last Friday, they can enwrap and enthral a city's worth of people not with hollow, rack & roll posturing but with the sheer quality of their music and their music making. I don't think there's ever been a more unlikely rock frontman than Thom Yorke, and yet his modest stage presence makes him far more shamanic and mesmerising than any number of his more animated imitators. His art - and that of the whole band - speaks for itself.

Their set list was masterful: enough of the "hits" to keep the casuals happy, but interspersed with loads of less obvious tracks from their entire catalogue. Yeah, starting off quietly with 'Daydreaming' was genius: but then following that with one of the slowest songs from their biggest album was even better. And 'Lotus Flower' as an encore? Cor. This was far from the obvious and crowd pleasing set that Saturday's lauded headliners (who I quite like, by the way) delivered, but to my jaded ears it was infinitely more powerful.

And only two songs from their latest album, yet four from 'In Rainbows'? Well, I'm not complaining. In fact, I agree with Mark Radcliffe that 'Nude' was probably the set's peak - but my, it had some competition there.

Was it just me, or were the "hits" played ever so slightly slower than on record? Maybe that's how they managed to sound so intense. I wasn't there - I only watched it from my armchair, with a bowlful of tudor and half a bottle of Shetland Reel, but shit man...they had me prisoner. I went to bed about 1 AM and didn't drift off for hours, so wired had the sounds of those five blokes made me.

Yes, they are indeed bloody good.

;-) You know, I didn't even realise they'd only played two tracks from AMSP, and I really like that album. They've certainly got a hell of a back catalogue now.
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 June 2017 CE
Jun 27, 2017, 20:42
The Amorphous Androgynous - Tales Of Ephidrina

Be-Bop Deluxe - Axe Victim / Futurama

The Brotherhood Of Lizards - Lizardland: The Complete Works

Tim Buckley - Lady Give Me Your Key / Peel Sessions

Can - Horror Trip In The Paperhouse / Future Days & Past Nights / Out Of Reach

John Coltrane - Ascension

Miles Davis - Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-64 / On The Corner / A Tribute To Jack Johnson

Bob Dylan - The Best Of The Cutting Edge

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Melton, Levy & The Dey Bros - S/t

Tina & David Meltzer - Green Morning

The Monkees - Good Times

The Moody Blues - In The Threshold Of A Dream

Mother Earth - The People Tree (DE 2cd)

The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves / Hits Are For Squares

The Stranglers - Raven / The Gospell According To The Men In Black

The Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense & Peppermints / Wake Up ... It's Tomorrow

Strawbs - S/t / Dragonfly / Just A Collection Of Antiques & Curios / From The Witchwood

Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear

Transglobal Underground - Backpacking On The Graves Of Our Ancestors

Velvert Turner Group - S/t

Jane Weaver - The Watchbird Alluminate

V/A

Ears Of The Stone

High All The Time Vol 2
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index