Register
Unsung Forum »
Roky

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postyesterdaymanchil
15 posts

Roky
Jun 18, 2017, 05:21
Just got a boot of Roky with the Black Angels from 2 years ago. His voice has not aged well in the last twenty years. It makes me sad. Use it or lose it forever I guess. I just remember that yelp from around 1980. Gives me chills.
Mantid
100 posts

Re: Roky
Jun 18, 2017, 15:32
I've been tempted by his upcoming show on Halloween in San Francisco, but have similar concerns. Always wanted to "see" him play a gig but feel like it could in a way be more respectful to skip that selfish bucket-list desire. I still regret seeing Willie Nelson propped up by an obnoxiously large and oppressively bland band that 2 times during a 90 minute show let him pluck an audible note or two. I haven't really dug many of Roky's recent supporting bands, by the same token.

Now, I would love to hear him alone with an acoustic guitar and a Q&A bit if he were up for it.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Jun 19, 2017, 10:45
I saw the 13th Floor Elevators at Levitation in Austin two years ago and I've seen Roky twice in the UK over the last decade: his voice has always sounded as great as ever to me. The years have taken their toll in many ways and the quality of his backing bands can be variable, but although yes his voice has changed somewhat and has a more ravaged, lived-in quality, the boy can still sing and scream. Maybe he was just having an off night on that boot (though personally I'd have loved to see him play with the Black Angels).
postyesterdaymanchil
15 posts

Jun 20, 2017, 15:41
I saw him several years ago in Louisville and it was good, but there were moments he couldn't hit the notes in the more frenzied songs. I think maybe this was a bad night.
Unsung Forum Index