Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited May 31, 2017, 00:10
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 May 2017 CE
May 31, 2017, 00:09
The Myrrors – Hasta La Victoria. Excellent desert psych meets krautrock vibe here, definitely worth a listen: https://themyrrors.bandcamp.com/album/hasta-la-victoria

Jean-Jacques Perrey – … Et Son Ondioline. Bloke who did various Moog exotica albums in the 60s, but this is a collection of early tracks he played on using the Ondioline, a kind of proto-synth invented in 1939. Inevitably a bit of a curate’s egg, but worth investigating for fans of early electronic music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSrDJcxgC8Y

Amplifier – Trippin’ With Dr Faustus

Acid Arab – Musique D’France

Bushman’s Revenge – Jazz, Fritt Etter Hukommeisen

Lo Five – When It’s Time To Let Go

Nik Turner’s Sphynx – Xitintoday. Not sure how I’ve managed to not hear this before now. As a teenage Hawkwind fan in the pre-internet age, it was one of those items spoken of in semi-reverent tones due to its rarity, but it’s really nothing to get excited about. Basically, a load of flute improvisations recorded by Turner in the Great Pyramid of Giza, with additional instrumentation from various Gong people added on afterwards. Oh, and Turner’s faintly ludicrous/annoying sing-speaking from the Egyptian Book Of The Dead. Still, it must have taken some chutzpah to release this in 1978.

VA – Out Of Time. MOJO freebie off the back of an REM cover feature, though as much of the stuff here is post-hardcore as it is college rock. Glad I never wasted any time on the likes of Superchunk and Galaxie 500, but Dinosaur’s debut single remains eternally wonderful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHnPaGFzhTY

Listen With Father:

Jane Weaver – Modern Kosmology. I thought I’d try to bring ‘em up to date. For some reason, this was accompanied by much sniggering.

H is for…

Humanfly – Awesome Science. Raved about this at the time (2013), and raving about it now. A brilliant album of proggy post-metal from Leeds band who promptly split on its release. One of those albums that’s difficult to convey just how good it is, so have a listen here instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNN8OhFEJXg&list=PLb3pW8hxca-s_UzYjgI5x9xSDRfGzyzlo

Live:

Hawkwind – The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm. The sound was a bit mushy, but you can’t argue with HW at The Roundhouse, particularly when they start their set with ‘Born To Go’. Couple of points though: i) they are desperately in need of a proper frontman, and ii) why have a sax player on stage, but not let him play the essential sax parts in ‘Steppenwolf’ and ‘Magnu’? (actually, I think I know the answer to that question…)
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

May 31, 2017, 18:39
spencer wrote:
Nice list. Must dig out my Robinson Crusoe..been waaaay too long, ta for reminding me is in a pile

Thanks Spencer. Yes recently acquired that Robinson Crusoe soundtrack. Takes me back to my childhood. Sentimentality aside there are some lovely pieces in there. Maybe watch the series soon - been a while since I have seen it (40+ years).
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

May 31, 2017, 18:44
Fatalist wrote:

Listen With Father:
Jane Weaver – Modern Kosmology. I thought I’d try to bring ‘em up to date. For some reason, this was accompanied by much sniggering.

Tried a bit of that album on my 8 year old son the other weekend but it was a no-goer. Mind you he is into Bowie and loves the "Berlin" period stuff and enjoyed Neu! a month back - so I'm sure he'll reconsider Jane Weaver at a later point.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

May 31, 2017, 20:09
garerama wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Listen With Father:

Tried a bit of that album on my 8 year old son the other weekend but it was a no-goer. Mind you he is into Bowie and loves the "Berlin" period stuff and enjoyed Neu! a month back - so I'm sure he'll reconsider Jane Weaver at a later point.

I think JW is a bit too ethereal for them ;-) For a long time, my youngest's favourite Bowie tracks were 'Beauty And The Beast' and 'Boys Keep Swinging', which always amused me greatly.
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

May 31, 2017, 20:36
Fatalist wrote:
garerama wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Listen With Father:

I think JW is a bit too ethereal for them ;-) For a long time, my youngest's favourite Bowie tracks were 'Beauty And The Beast' and 'Boys Keep Swinging', which always amused me greatly.

Weird - my son's favourite these days is "Beauty & The Beast". He is taking a liking now for the song "Station To Station" especially the long live Tokyo 1978 version with long intro and guitar feedback madness! But yes have to watch the lyrical content.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

May 31, 2017, 22:13
Cool kids.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 01, 2017, 14:32
The Heliocentrics - A World of Masks
Jon Brooks - Autres Directions
Badfinger - Ass
Koerner, Ray & Glover - Blues, Rags & Hollers
Minutemen - What Makes a Man Start Fires?
Tindersticks - s/t
Baris Manco - Ben Bilerim
Fred Neil - s/t
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index