Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 May 2017 CE

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 27 May 2017 CE
May 28, 2017, 20:11
My University mates' band used to do a cover of it. Not that it was particularly amazing... Isn't most of that material on the Peggy Suicide Deluxe edition? I don't know as I have neither.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

May 28, 2017, 20:16
'Everyone' tended to dismiss them out of hand for ripping off Interpol/Joy Division. Pretty good influence to have though. Might have to check out their 2nd album now... what else? Oh yeah that really annoying Scottish DJ used to date the frontman. Edith Bowman. Mind you I'm not sure if I've ever listened to a DJ that hasn't grated.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

May 28, 2017, 23:52
Cool track to cover. The stuff on Peggy Deluxe is singles etc...from later (Peggy era) singles/material. The Followers of St Julian is tracks collected from assorted singles from around the time of Saint Julian (86/87). Deffo worth picking up, though I believe it was a bit of an Island Records cash in at the time. I suppose it serves as a companion to St Julian, in the same was as those Peggy/Jehovahkill deluxe editions collected the various singles/b-sides etc onto disc 2..

Here's what Jason Parkes, Amazons No.1 reviewer yarbles about it

"This compilation stems from 1986/87's rebirth of once Fried-Droolian to St Julian- the succesful, outwardly commercial phase. These songs stem from the editions of singles World Shut Your Mouth, Trampolene & Eve's Volcano- at that point in time there were no silly rules regarding duration, the number of formats or how many different tracks you could include. So a cornocopia of lovelies were often found on cassingles, 12" remixes and the like...
We get the tracks from the original 12" of World Shut Your Mouth- the kicking original Umpteenth Unnatrual Blues and covers of 13th Floor Elevators' Levitation and Pere Ubu's Non-alignment Pact (found on the Easter Everywhere & Modern Dance albums respectively). From a remix 12" we get the interesting Troublefunk mix of World Shut Yr Mouth- which predates all that baggie nonsense of a few years later in the rock/dance fusion department that would attach itself to bands like Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and even U2.
The tracks from the Trampolene 12" are probably the best songs here- Disaster remains one of his finest songs, while Mock Turtle and Warwick the Kingmaker prove that the Fried-sound had not been completely consigned to the past. Warne Livesy (The The, Wiseblood) overhauls Trampolene wonderfully from another format of Trampolene (there are also two versions of Transporting/Trainsporting from various formats- this was Cope's intro tape and first experiment with he who would become Thighpaulsandra).
The remaining tracks are from the horrible Eve's Volcano (Covered in Sin) single- easily the worst track on St Julian (it ripped off a terrible Rolling Stones song, for a start). Should have been Spacehopper, Shot Down or St Julian! The Volcano Lungo mix is very of its time; though b-side Almost Beautiful Child is rather divine stuff"
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

May 29, 2017, 03:53
Frank Zappa - Hammersmith '78 ...at long, long last, my Holy Grail, the Yerbouti gigs that are one of my treasured memories. Just show what a high bar FZ had on releases - fabulous stuff. Going for under £22 on A****n at the mo, hate using, just had to have. Grab this Mother.. Totally chuffed

Frank Zappa - Philly '76

Frank Zappa - Oz....thereby making a hat trick of wonderful official rereleases.. worth it for the packaging alone, this stuff

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring (remastered) ..expanded to an hour of beauty. On YouTube. Played on sunny morning with birds outside. Bliss...

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Zuma

The Divine Comedy - Foreverland

Grateful Dead - Fox Theatre St Louis, Dec 10th 1971

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant - No Quarter

David Bowie - BBC 2000

Procul Harum - Novum

Tim Hardin - Hang On To A Dream - The Verve Recordings

Tim Hardin - Bird On A Wire ...still bigging TH

Dennis Brown - Dubbing At King Tubbys

Chet Baker - Sings

Dave Swarbrick - It Suits Me Well: The Transatlantic Recordings 1976 - 1983

Keith Hudson - Nuh Skin Up

Otis Taylor - Fantasizing About Being Black

Jackson Browne - The Pretender

V/A - Pigs Might Fly (Mojo comp)

V/A - Dub Chillout ... LOVE this lucky find, cheapo label but comped with obvious lurve...a run of seven at least killer cuts therein. Just buy it, n'kay?

Reverend Horton Heat - loads of stuff thanks to my record store mate as after hours browsing soundtrack.. what a player, what a band

...effing hell, can't believe I've actually found round tuit and done a SOOL, been weeks when have been meaning to. Tooth that was making me gaga and could have done for me with blood poisoning and sepsis under sinus out, head and health slowly returning ..horrible divorce thanks to her solicitor ongoing. My house purchase and escape route screwed in a trice, it would seem. Right before my youngest's A levels. Couldn't make it up... Thank fuck there's the music... Interesting year, 2017
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2553 posts

Edited May 29, 2017, 08:57
May 29, 2017, 08:56
Acoustic - Simple Minds (went to Dundee and Glasgow gigs, absolutely brilliant!!!!)

Acoustic Live DVD - Simple Minds

Big Music - Simple Minds

Life In A Day - Simple Minds

Cinema - Nazareth

Snakes N Ladders - Nazareth

The Catch - Nazareth

Sound Elixir - Nazareth

B Sides - Kula Shaker

Pigs and Astronauts - Kula Shaker
keith a
9570 posts

May 29, 2017, 15:14
Smile – Beach Boys

Beatles For Sale – The Beatles

Pollinator – Blondie

Animal Magic – Blow Monkeys

Beneath Discordant Skies – Blurt

Push The Sky Away - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Grinderman – Grinderman

Low Symphony – Philip Glass

Anthology – Tommy James & the Shondells

Gargoyle – Mark Lanegan Band

Ones & Sixes - Low

Dark Matter/Dark Energy – Membranes

Live - Sensational Alex Harvey Band

A Way Of Life - Suicide
Why Be Blue – Suicide

Shattered Forest 2008-2010 – Strykniny

Commercial Suicide – Colin Newman
Art Pop – Githead
Wire – Wire
Silver/Lead - Wire

Back To Land – Wooden Shjips
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

May 29, 2017, 20:26
The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe OST

Sandy Denny - I've Always Kept A Unicorn

Brian Eno - Discreet Music

Greenvine - Mark Tou That & Noat You Wel

Kaleidoscope - Pulsating Dreams

Ustad Sul Tan Khan & Ustad Zakir Husain - Sur Taal

King Crimson - USA

LCD Soundsystem - S/t (2cd)

John Lennon - Mind Games

Midlake - The Trials Of Van Occupanther / The Courage Of Others

The Millenium - Begin

Charles Mingus - Tijuana Moods

Joni Mitchell - Clouds / Song To A Seagull

Mother Gong - Best Of ...

Nektar - Journey To The Centre Of The Eye

Bill Nelson - Quit Dreaming & Get On The Beam / The Love That Whirls (Diary Of A Thinking Heart)

The Peanut Butter Conspiracy - The Peanut Butter Conspiracy Is Spreading / The Great Conspiracy

Pentangle - Cruel Sister

Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday?

Pere Ubu - Modern Dance / Dub Housing / Terminal Tower

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn / A Saucerful Of Secrets

Psychic TV - Allegory & Self / Towards The Infinite Beat / Beyond The Infinite Beat

Red Krayola - God Bless The Red Krayola & All Who Sail With It

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine / NY Ghosts & Flowers

David Sylvian - Alchemy: An Index Of Possibilities / Dead Bees On A Cake

Jane Weaver - The Watchbird Alluminate / Modern Kosmology

V/A

Mind Expanders Vols 1-5

Weirdlore
garerama
garerama
1109 posts

May 29, 2017, 20:33
Monganaut wrote:

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
Not one that gets a spin that often these days, but enjoyable enough when it does.Gotta be in the right mood for the Diamond Sea though, it does go on a bit. WM -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wPPhifmRoA

Just got that album last week. Not bad at all. I am liking Sonic Youth again. Went off them for a while. Trying to catch up with where I left them before (post Dirty). As for Diamond Sea, I love it - there is an even longer version on the wonderful cd of rarities "The Destroyed Room" (which I heard first so on hearing the album version it now sounds too short).
Beebon
1375 posts

May 30, 2017, 16:54
Quite quiet last week

Transatlantic - Live In America
Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
Big Big Train - Grimspound
Marillion - Holidays In Eden
Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight

However on Sunday I went to see Iron Maiden for the first time. I can't say that I come anywhere near close to liking the O2 but damn they were brilliant!!
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

May 30, 2017, 23:17
Nice list. Must dig out my Robinson Crusoe..been waaaay too long, ta for reminding me is in a pile
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index