Unsung Forum »
Frightening world of collecting Fall albums

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postyesterdaymanchil
15 posts

Frightening world of collecting Fall albums
May 25, 2017, 17:00
Okay, going through a Fall period in my life. I have the first three, I have Extricate, Infotainment Scam, Real New Fall and several singles comps. Where now? I get overwhelmed with his shit. Every album has a handful of glowing and negative reviews. I don't generally trust reviews anyways. What do you lot say?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Frightening world of collecting Fall albums
May 25, 2017, 19:25
Hex Enduction Hour is probably peak Fall. Also Slates, Grotesque, Perverted by Language.

I really like most of the 70/80s ones. If you're not sure try 458489A and especially 458489B for the Brix era and Extricate for the immediate post-Brix fallout.

There are some dips in standard later, Real New etc that you have already is a cracker though. I liked The Unutterable a lot. In more recent years there are usually a couple of quality tracks on each but I don't think he sustains it over an LP these days.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 25, 2017, 21:27
May 25, 2017, 20:41
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hex Enduction Hour is probably peak Fall. Also Slates, Grotesque, Perverted by Language.

I really like most of the 70/80s ones. If you're not sure try 458489A and especially 458489B for the Brix era and Extricate for the immediate post-Brix fallout.

There are some dips in standard later, Real New etc that you have already is a cracker though. I liked The Unutterable a lot. In more recent years there are usually a couple of quality tracks on each but I don't think he sustains it over an LP these days.

Agreed. That pretty much sums up my opinion too. I think there was a sharp dropoff in consistency after "The Infotainment Scan", although " The unutterable" and "The Real New Fall LP" are indeed returns to form. You could probanly make up a killer compilation by cherry-picking the best tracks from the subsequent albums, but individually they're a bit of a minefield. Almost every album up until 1993 or so is worth owning, though.
postyesterdaymanchil
15 posts

May 25, 2017, 20:48
Thanks, folks. Gonna try and get the Beggars stuff first, I think.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

May 25, 2017, 21:19
The Fall - it's another side of yer life isn't it? Another parallel world. Those ventures which have really stayed with me are...

Hex Induction Hour.

Slates 10" album. A really fantastic record. I think it was released on CD with another mini album back in the 90's. Worth checking for that. I'm still playing a needle drop of my 30-odd year old vinyl on the car and home CD player. Wondrous.

Whatever compilation the Kicker Conspiracy/ Container Drivers double 7" set ended up on. Get it. Just checked.. some of it is on "In: Palace Of Swords Reversed" and a bit on the surprisingly fab cheap comp "The Fall - The Collection" which has a marvellous tracklist and has the ultimate Fall song written by Lennon and McCartney "A Day In The Life". Highly recommended.

The 3 Cog Sinister albums (Extricate, Shift-Work & Code:Selfish)

They are my Fall pointers. Navigate away. Don't stray too far from the exit.
carol27
747 posts

May 26, 2017, 19:26
Definitely Live at the Witch Trials, Dragnet, Grotesque & Slates (not keen on Hex Enduction but it is 'Peak' Fall) plus (if you can get 'em) Psykick Dancehall & Early Years compilations both of which have the early Small Wonder material as well as Rough Trade stuff. THAT for me is the quintessential Fall - the Brix era/Beggars stuff is considerably more mainstream & 'poppy' and a very different band altogether. Some good stuff (particularly the 458489 A sides compilation) but by then it's definitely not the 'frightening world' of the 'Coronation Street on Acid' (as Martin Bramah deemed it) Lovecraftian mushroom freaks I got into.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

May 27, 2017, 21:35
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0711YMWNV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

The track list for the fothcoming album has just been revealed. I presume all songs were recorded and titled months ago. But, Jeez.
keith a
9572 posts

May 28, 2017, 10:59
caldervalium wrote:

The track list for the fothcoming album has just been revealed. I presume all songs were recorded and titled months ago. But, Jeez.

Yikes. I wonder if this will still be released with that title?
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 28, 2017, 17:23
May 28, 2017, 11:22
keith a wrote:
caldervalium wrote:

Yikes. I wonder if this will still be released with that title?

I'm assuming the title's a reference to Kieron Melling getting beaten up? In which case, that happened in April, so ... yes, not in the best of taste if it is.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

Edited May 28, 2017, 14:42
May 28, 2017, 14:40
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index