Unsung Forum »
Tim Hardin

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Tim Hardin
Apr 09, 2017, 13:04
Totally blown away by the Hang On To A Dream 2cd best of twofer I got recently....boy has this stuff lasted. Check him out on Youtube if not familiar
flashbackcaruso
1053 posts

Re: Tim Hardin
Apr 09, 2017, 13:46
I've been listening to him a lot this week. First got into his songs via cover versions by Bobby Darin on an LP my mum had, and all the classics are on those first two albums. He seemed to dry up a bit for the next few albums, with Tim Hardin 3 & 4 being a live album and early blues recordings respectively. The fifth album 'This Is Tim Hardin' appears to be really scraping the bottom of the barrel, with a further collection of early recordings, some of which overlap with TH4, but it's worth having for a purely solo collection with no backing group and some incredibly powerful vocals. But then came the adventurous 'Suite For Susan More' and a few more patchy but sometimes great albums mixing originals and covers. Amazing that he once did a concert with Can as his backing band and spent some of his last years in England where he could get free treatment for his heroin addiction on the NHS. I'm sure I read he did small gigs in cafes while in the UK. Just imagine going for a cup of coffee and finding Tim Hardin performing!
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Edited Apr 09, 2017, 22:32
Apr 09, 2017, 22:32
Saw him with Can, wasn't a full show though, only last bit. He'd opened for them, totally out of it.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Apr 11, 2017, 14:35
Apr 10, 2017, 16:23
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Just imagine going for a cup of coffee and finding Tim Hardin performing!

I remember that back in the early noughties my old band played at the Half Moon in Putney. I got chatting with the promoter - who was also a fan. Turned out he was still in touch with the venue's original owner, and that the latter told him Tim Hardin frequently played acoustic sets there in the mid-70s, as did Big Star's Chris Bell.
spencer
spencer
3068 posts

Apr 11, 2017, 03:05
Sigh, I remember the Half Moon..
Unsung Forum Index