Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2017, 11:27
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 March 2017 CE
Mar 27, 2017, 07:25
Fatalist wrote:
Ulver – The Assassination Of Julius Caesar. I really must stop listening to Ulver albums, as it’s such a frustrating experience. Whether it’s industrial metal, 70s prog, psychedelic improv, or in the case of their latest, 80s-flavoured electro-rock, they always promise to deliver something compelling, but always seem to fall short.

I agree. They had a good run around 2002 and 2003 ish when they were operating (very) broadly in Boards of Canada territory but coming from a more rock starting point. Three albums, a soundtrack and an ep's worth of very solid stuff. I listened to them a lot in the mid 00s and those records still stand up I think even though some of the sounds they were exploring then sound like cliches 15 years later because so many other artists have been there since.

I kept buying the albums out of habit up to the SUNN O))) collaboration but from Blood Inside on the more I hear the less interested I am in the output. It's the singing that is the problem I reckon. Their version of Thieves In The Temple was good though.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index