Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 March 2017 CE

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2365 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 March 2017 CE
Mar 21, 2017, 18:29
I do like a bit of Beck, it has to be said. I must admit, I didn't enjoy Mutations as much as I have done previously, maybe not in the right mood etc...

He's a bit of a 'sponge' in terms of musically trying a bit of everything (well maybe not 'everything, but you gets ma gist). Think the only records I don't enjoy are those cod folk pre Mellow Gold records, Modern Guilt and Morning Phase. Oh, and Midnite Vultures isn't one that gets many spins either.

I was one of those that played Odelay to death when it was first released, so much so that I had to get my wife to hide it, as it was even making me sick how often it got a spin (ditto, Beastie Boys - 'Paul's Boutique'). Couldn't listen to Odelay fer years after that.

I'd say, check out Mellow Gold if you haven't already, I like it's kinda playful looseness, prob my fav album by him, along with the daffy Beercan EP of the same time.

Was lucky enough to catch his Beckster on the Midnight Vultures tour. He was in full James Brown/Prince stage histrionics on stage, and, as I recall, it was a really entertaining (and funky) evening.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index