27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 19, 2017, 10:33
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 March 2017 CE
Mar 19, 2017, 10:22
I haven't felt moved to do this for a while but here are some records that are rarely if ever mentioned on here that have added significant crank to my handle the last few weeks.

Kevin Coyne - In Living Black And White
Never heard this until a few weeks back and it is just brilliant. Fantastic band and song selection. Coyne near the top of his game. Also sounds exactly like what city hall / university / poly gigs were like in the pre Punk era. Just add stale beer, Rothmans and the occasional whiff of Denim For Men.

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Timeless Flight
When I was 16 or so I traded records for a bit with a man in Toronto who ran a Dolls fanzine. Fairly unequal trades as it turned out (Max Romeo for Teenage Head, Poet and the Roots for Battered Wives on red vinyl etc). He recommended Timeless Flight to me and I didn't get it at all at the time (electric pianos were not very punk rock) but over the decades it has really grown on me and I tend to dig it out most years when spring is starting to be sprung. 41 years on from its release it sounds wonky and radically off centre for a mainstream album. Though also has a fair bit in common with The Stones "Black and Blue". Harley is full of himself fit to bursting but if you only own one Cockney Rebel album etc

Once & Future Band - Brain EP
Definitely one for all of us Initiation era Todd obsessives. As is the nature of nostalgia worked through third or fourth hand, there is a lot of Jellyfish, Wondermints and Queen in there too. Unlike most 70s pastiches the songs are really really good. Looking forward to the album showing up soon (please Mr Postman). Pomptastic.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index