Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Best, strangest... or maybe just most inappropriate covers of all time?

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Best, strangest... or maybe just most inappropriate covers of all time?
Jan 21, 2017, 23:37
Membranes version of Voodoo Chile always seemed deliciously wrong.

The country covers that the meat puppets put on their hardcore era 1st mini lp. Distorto versions of Bob Nolan songs written for the Sons of the pioneers. There's a lot more on the cd of the lp too.

The MC5 reformatting The Troggs I Want You for KOTJ.
Also what they did with Ray Charles' I Believe To My Soul which begat Black To Comm.

The Birthday party's version of Loose. & what ever other Stooges stuff they did.

John Coltrane taking broadway songs apart and building something totally new out of them and influencing modal jamming in rock in the prcoess.

Nina Simone's reinvention of several very white folky singer songwriter songs in the late 60s. There's a lotof it on the Sugar iN My Bowl compilation i have.

Fairport convention on the first 4 lps, especially Unhalfbricking though i hate the French language Dylan rewrite.

Jefferson Airplane Other Side of this Life and Good Shepherd.
Also the Great Society's reimagining of Sally Go Round the Roses.

Cabaret Voltaire's Here She Comes Now which is really creepy plus tehior No Escape.

Roberta Flack doing That's No way to Say goodbye with a breakbeat on her first lp First Take which has several similar sublime covers.

I wish somebody would compile the God Machine e.p.s cos they all had great song reimaginings.

several other things which will come back to me later.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index