Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 5 December 2015 CE
Dec 06, 2015, 12:18
Monganaut wrote:

Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again/A Broken Frame
More DM this week, seem to be on a bit of a synth pop kick at the minute.
Hadn't heard 'Construction' in years. Can see why now, it's a bloody terrible record. OK, it showed the first instances of their sub dark quasi industrial gleanings, but other than the singles, it's pants. Everything Counts is a great pop moment, even if the slightly kak handed lyric is a little cringe worthy at times, the sentiments they were trying to convey still hold true, probably more so these days. I curiously googled what other peeps thought was the best/worst DM albums. The only consensus is that the sub angst goth/industrial stuff was thought of as better than their synth pop inception. Now for me, it's the other way around. Speak & Spell and A Broken Frame are far and away better records than say, Some Great Reward or Black Celebration.
Leave In Silence (quieter) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJultihvB0
My Secret Garden (Excerpt) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvqamBFluis

Interesting, Black Celebration is probably still my favourite DM album (although actually it's probably two or three years since I last played it), whereas I've never really given Speak And Spell much chance probably because I absolutely can't stand the choruses of "See You" and "Meaning of Love".

I quite like Construction, the lyrics are very naive but with their heart in the right place, and I've always found the first forays into pipe-banging, clanging samples are endearing too. "And then..." is a great closing track.

Monganaut wrote:

Simple Minds - Reel To Real/ Empires and Dance
Y'know, if Simple Minds had split after 'New Gold Dream' as far as I'm concerned, they'd have left a near perfect legacy. I can just about take Sparkle in The Rain, but the rest, meh!Have a great week y'all.

Completely agree, apart from their debut which is kind of Roxy-inflected New Wave, that first run of albums up to NGD is terrific. I've not really listened much to anything they did after the one with "Belfast Child" on it (can't remember the name) but Drewbhoy tells me that the recent stuff is worth the effort, and the last album does seem to have had a better reception than anything they've done in a long time.
carol27
747 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 15:04
Bit naive re Depeche Mode but Violator is great. No less man than Johnny Cash covering Personal Jesus :)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 15:27
Violator is great too. That was the album that got me into them (well, actually the preceding 101 was but that's live rather than studio).
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Edited Dec 07, 2015, 08:54
Dec 06, 2015, 17:06
League Unlimited Orchestra - Love And Dancing.
Kasper Bjørke - Fool
Various - Good Times (Norman Jay Comp.)
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica - Heard good things about this but too disjointed for my ears, a more experimental Four Tet maybe.
Ian Dury - Do It Yourself - Specifically a gig recording, maybe from the Stiff Tour. What a band.
Various - Trax Re-edited. What it says: Chicago House Label Trax tracks with a makeover. Some are fine, some not so.
Various - Recontact (Kaito) DJ Mix.
Todd Terje - It's Album Time - more successful remixing others' Tracks rather than his original creations, I think. A curate's egg, one or two decent tracks.
Underworld - 2nd Toughest In The Infants 20th Anniversary Edition. Heaven. Heaven Heaven Heaven.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 17:31
I think they should have just put cabinet of curiosities on the cd as bonus tracks for that lp. Seems weird to put out 2 short duration cds instead of one hour long one.

BUt i have always loved We Are Time since discovering it in the 12" section of the local Charity shop since it came without a picture sleeve and just in one of those old generic black 12" sleeves.

I thought they were supposed to be putting out some live material from that era officially too and not seen anything of it. Did find a bootleg I hadn't heard before around the time the 2 cds came out though.

& now the later even more political stuff is on a Kickstarter campaign
Stevo
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 17:40
I've still never heard the second album, really overdue a reissue.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 17:52
IT's far more compressed sounding as in not spacious. Doesn't really have the trippiness of Y which I think is one of the most psychedelic lps of the time. Probably thanks to dub production from Dennis Bovell but the live stuff from the era is still pretty out there.
garerama
garerama
1110 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 18:49
The Aggregation - Mind Oddesey

Akron/Family - Love Is Simple

The Beatles - Rubber Soul (mono)

Beau Brummels - Triangle / Bradley's Barn

Beck - Stereopathetic Soul Manure / Mellow Gold / Morning Phase

Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills

Circulus - The Lick On The Tip Of An Envelope Yet To Be Sent

Cocteau Twins & Harold Budd - The Moon & The Melodies

ALice Coltrane - Translinear Light

John Coltrane - Ole Coltrane / Coltrane / A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters / First Meditation / Expression

Miles Davis - Nefertiti

Dead Can Dance - Spleen & Ideal / Within The Realms Of A Dying Sun

Sandy Denny - The North Star Grass Man & The Raven

Fairport Convention - Rising For The Moon

Bill Fay - Life is People

Jacco Gardner - Cabinet of Curiosities

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

John Lennon - Power To The People

Paul McCartney - McCartney

Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear

MC5 - The Big Bang! / Motorcycle Rebels

Midlake - Antiphon

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady / Mingus (x5) / Live in Paris (1964)

Misericordia - The Olde Daunce / Robins M'Aime (Medieval Music & Song)

Pink Floyd - 1965 Their First Recordings

Psychic TV - Jack The Tab / Techno Acid Beat / Towards The Infinite Beat / Beyond The Infinite Beat

Sagittarius - Present Tense

Pharoah Sanders - Karma / Thembi / Evelation

Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe / The Amber Light
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Dec 06, 2015, 22:15
Dec 06, 2015, 22:14
S/T – Cult Of Dom Keller
Another Live Album From... - The Damned
The Soul Of The Hour – Gallon Drunk
S/T – Nancy Sinatra
Electric Warrior – T.Rex
Kill Bill Vol 1 – V/A
Modular Witchcraft EP - WIKAN
Monoliths EP - WIKAN
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Dec 06, 2015, 22:16
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation
Classic, so good to return to this.

Nico - The Frozen Borderline
Bob Dylan - Best of the Cutting Edge
Krishna Das - Greatest Hits of the Kali Yuga
Lost and Found - Everybody's Here

Vinyl:

23 Skidoo - The Gospel Comes to New Guinea
Ace. Really took me back listening to this. Produced by the Cabs chaps too.

Oneida - SPQR & others
New one from Rocket. Bit disappointing on first listen, will have to give it another few goes before coming to a conclusion.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index