Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 November 2015 CE
Nov 30, 2015, 22:37
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Status Quo - On The Level,Quo,Blue For You derderderdahderdertimes1000 give Quo their due they have a certain charm that with hindsight you can see is about to lose its flavour, Blue for You is a clear signpost of what lies ahead

I don't think you even needed hindsight to see things were going downhill with Blue For You (though they still had a powerful feel that went when Coughlin left). I was disappointed with On The Level, too, though like BFY it had its moments, too.

There's barely a note from Piledriver to the live record that I don't love but you are probably right about where BFY sits in the series of 70s classics. IIRC that album and Rain got a lot of praise in the music press for their relative sophistication and it earned them a bit of a reappraisal from the snobs. I was lucky enough to see them twice on the BFY tour, at Hammersmith Odeon and in Cardiff, and they were magical.

Saw them in 1974 and '75 and they really were an excellent live act then. I just felt that on record things were changing, On The Level lacking the power of the three that came before it albeit there were some decent songs on it. BFY was the last thing I ever bought by them, didn't even get the live one which would have been unthinkable a year or so earlier. But despite including Rain and Mystery Song, BFY lost marks for including the following verse...

"Sitting in a cornfield
Looking at the cob
Thinking of a long line
Waiting for a job"

which wound me up even then! :)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index