6761 posts

Edited Nov 30, 2015, 14:09
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 November 2015 CE
Nov 30, 2015, 09:33
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Status Quo - On The Level,Quo,Blue For You derderderdahderdertimes1000 give Quo their due they have a certain charm that with hindsight you can see is about to lose its flavour, Blue for You is a clear signpost of what lies ahead

I don't think you even needed hindsight to see things were going downhill with Blue For You (though they still had a powerful feel that went when Coughlin left). I was disappointed with On The Level, too, though like BFY it had its moments, too.

There's barely a note from Piledriver to the live record that I don't love but you are probably right about where BFY sits in the series of 70s classics. IIRC that album and Rain got a lot of praise in the music press for their relative sophistication and it earned them a bit of a reappraisal from the snobs. I was lucky enough to see them twice on the BFY tour, at Hammersmith Odeon and in Cardiff, and they were magical.

I think they carried on being magical live well beyond the drop off in LP quality, I do remember everyone being horrified at their ticket prices about 78/79 they were £3.75, many a cry of 'I'm not paying that' was heard, if only we could have seen into the future

Ha! So true. I remember when I noticed tickets going over £3 (Santana, Journey or poss Automatic Man and Eric Burdon at Empire Pool) and going to a big gig was suddenly costing more than an album. Big factor in pub rock and punk taking off I think. 75p / £1 / £1.50 was fairly common. This at a time when a packet of Lambert and Butler was 50p as was a pint so 50p could make a big difference to a night out. From what I remember pub venues in London were not too fussed about the legality of letting 14/15 year olds in as long as you didn't look closer to 12 than 18.

As for Quo I didn't buy another record of theirs after the live one so have no clue how good or bad they were. I assumed they weren't up to much from the singles and of course liking them was social death for four or five years.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index