90 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2015, 19:02
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 November 2015 CE
Nov 29, 2015, 16:13
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Bowie - Station to Station sometimes you forget how good things are , both this and Piper at the Gates blew me away this week, played Station to Station about six times in a row, absolutely fantastic

Keiji Haino & Sitaar Tah! - Animamima

Sitaar Tah! - Semimimiminim like the Ukelele Orchestra of GB but with sitar, and with Haino a lot more noise

LSD Pond - s/t not greater than the sum of its parts, all a bit aimless in the end

Suishou No Fune - The Light of Dark Night more guitar meandering but this has a bit more form and shape, nice!

Status Quo - On The Level,Quo,Blue For You derderderdahderdertimes1000 give Quo their due they have a certain charm that with hindsight you can see is about to lose its flavour, Blue for You is a clear signpost of what lies ahead

Rainbow - s/t, Rising, Long Live Rock n Roll gotta love RJD a man who sings complete nonsense with utter conviction , at the time I found Ronnie far more convincing singing about battling rainbow unicorns than I did Joe Strummer singing about riots, and I still do.

Pandora's Box - Original Sin Jim Steinman being OTT, very OTT

A Beastiary of The Creatures somehow I cant see Liam Gallagher and Zac Starkey making an album like this, pop was much better back in the day etc [cont rant in pub snug with half of mild]

Count Five - Pyschotic Reaction actually not really pyschotic at all

Susannah Hoffs & Matthew Sweet - Under the Covers Vol 1-4 inessential but great fun

Basillica - Wanda Bong man plays guitar loudly and in a lofi manner, very well done but ultimately not a patch on Bong or 11 Paranoias

Viovod - Killing Technology ROOOOOOOOOAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!widdlewiddleskeedlydee with robots and spaceships and stuff, possibly in french, if you listen to one old skool thrash metal LP this year make it something by Celtic Frost but this would come second

Water Boys - Modern Blues return to form IMHO, Mr Scott is still full of himself and has the odd veer into Deacon Blue land but this is great if you like The waterboys, possibly not so good if you exist on a diet of Japanese Noise Core

Nothing But Thieves - s/t this is what happens when you're main reference points are Muse and Jeff Buckley, utterly inoffensive and the only reason I've listened to this is Mrs Elf loves it and has played it to death, it's cetainly better than War On Drugs the last CD she played to death, possibly not a high recommendation

Enya - Dark Sky Island it's the new one, sounds much like the old one, again not for fans of Japanoise Pysch Thrash but whatever she does she is doing it well here, plus she sings in her own language , take that Magma
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index