Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Did The Cardiacs support Marillion on tour?

8 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Did The Cardiacs support Marillion on tour?
Oct 09, 2015, 11:11
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
I don't know if they did a whole tour but Cardiacs certainly played at least one gig supporting Marillion at the height of the latter's mid-eighties pop success. I wasn't there but they apparently went down really badly. Story is that bottles etc. were thrown, much to the disgust of Fish who was a big fan and had personally requested them as a support act.

I can ask someone who was actually there if you want further clarification.

That's what I'd been told. Apparently Fish had to go on stage to intervene. I'm fascinated by these clashes of, well not even genres really - musical worlds? For all those throwing stuff and screaming for them to get off I like to imagine a seed being planted of the possibility of difference.

Apparently we went to the Misplaced Childhood tour, to a date rescheduled from 6 months earlier. Unfortunately that 6 months coincided with a massive period of personal musical discovery and we were vaguely embarrassed to be there, which was unfair since Fish's musical recommendations had had a massive impact on my own musical taste. Through interviews he gave to Kerrang! it was he that introduced my friends and I to VDGG, Hammill solo stuff, possibly even King Crimson and others, and at a time when I was open to everything and... hungry. Steps on the journey and all that.

Unsung Forum Index