"Lulu" - Lou Reed & Metallica

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3679 posts

Edited Sep 10, 2015, 07:41
Re: "Lulu" - Lou Reed & Metallica
Sep 09, 2015, 13:26
I don't think Metallica were the right band for the job either musically or especially in the vocal department, Hetfield doesn't mesh with Reed in any way, they just seem to shouting at each other from seperate rooms.
I like Metallica but improv is not something that they are known for and I don't think anyone had the courage to shout down Reed who after all is the owner of the ball in this particular playground.
Ulver certainly would have done a better job but wouldn't have given him the No1 metal band tag to sell the final product [ did it sell, I imagine the hardcore fans of which Metallica have plenty made it viable] I can imagine better bands to soundtrack it, SunnO))),Morbid Angel, Godflesh. He should have got Jeff Hanneman in, might have kept him off the drink for a while and he could certainly make a foul noise
As for cheery metal fans
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Metallica/Lulu/320007/ these lot certainly don't like it

Personally I think it's terrible, Metallica proving that they should stick to what they know and Lou doing whatever he felt he was doing when he released substandard nonsense, maybe they all thought it was good, the general consensus does seem to be failure at almost every level.

edit after listening to a few bits on youtube I reckon they Lou knew just what he was doing it's wooden, plodding, ponderous and not that noisy, but it does a job. Some of metallica seemed to have enjoyed it, it was probably nice to slow down a bit and just hit things if your day job is going widddllleeeewidleeeewheeeeee and shouting about demonic vultures
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index